• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Accident - Texas - Suit - collection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TexasRalph

In Texas. Auto accident (I was on motorcycle) - Other driver was at fault but their insurance claimed I was 20% fault and they were 80% my insurance claimed they were 100% at fault. Insurance didn't want to fight it and left it at that; However I didn't feel I was compensated correctly so I sued for the value of my vehicle and damaged riding gear.

I won in the lawsuit and judgement awarded.

Other party did not inform his insurance and/or insurance did not provide a lawyer, I don't know. Amounts in this are well below any insurance limit (no medical expenses etc)

The other party is not responding to my communications about paying on the judgement. I have looked at what I need to do as far as collections from individual, and not looking for info on collections, but what I am looking for is if the other party should be getting their insurance to pay the judgement amount -- ie shouldn't this be covered under the liability insurance policy or is it not covered under the policy potentially because they didn't inform their insurance they were being sued?

my hope is that I can inform him that his insurance should be paying for him and he needs to talk to his insurance so he doesn't continue to rack up interest charges.

Of course this will really depend on the details of his insurance policy and it could be different, so I am just asking what is generally / typically the case?

zddoodah

Since you presumably know who the other driver's insurer is, why haven't you reached out to the claims department and provided a copy of your judgment and requested payment?

adjusterjack

my hope is that I can inform him that his insurance should be paying for him and he needs to talk to his insurance so he doesn't continue to rack up interest charges.
Nonsense. Give a copy of the judgment to the insurance adjuster you originally dealt with.

Should have done that as soon as you got it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">