• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto INsurance ???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robertrk

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Does anyone know whether or not in the state of Maryland, an auto insurance company can use your credit history against you? Someone told me all states are different but that they thought Maryland was one of the states that did not permit insurance companies to use your credit history as a basis for either getting a new policy, or to increase or drop you from a policy you may already have. The reason I worry about this is because we have had Nationwide for over 12 years. We have never been late or slow or any premiums. We had only had one minor accident which was a no fault accident due to icy weather conditions. This was almost 5 years ago and has since been removed from our policy. We are both considered safe drivers and get discounts. However, my daughter just purchased a 1997 Dodge Neon Sport 2 door. She paid $2400.00. The car is paid for with no lien on it whatsoever. My daughter has her permit and will be getting her license next month. We need to get the car inspected, titled and tagged this week. The title is in her name. My question is that since we are in a Chapter 13, will we still be permitted to add our 16 yr. old daughter to our plan, along with the car she just purchased? I am very scared. Does anyone know the insurance law here in the State of Maryland. Can anyone offer any advise?

Thank you so much in advance.

djohnson

I do not know Maryland law. By bumping this maybe someone else will be able to be more specific. I do know that insurance companies can and do use credit. Because you are an established customer with no/little claims, they may not. I do not know about it being different by state.

O

overama

Not 100% sure, but....

...I do not think that credit can be used in MD.

I am in the industry, and do know that credit laws are different by state. not all insurance companies use credit, and most that do use it in different ways. Some use it only at new business, while others will review it upon renewals.

The use of credit in insurance is still in it's infantcy, so laws will continue to change.

Main thing - don't be late on payments or allow your policy to cancel - that's when you will have real problems if credit is used.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">