• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto ownership both names on title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CardinalMaine

Maine

We both are on the title of the car. I am afraid once he comes to get the vehicle, I will never see it again. Can I hide the vehicle until we reach an agreement on the title?

zddoodah

We both are on the title of the car.
Who are "we"? You and your husband?

I am afraid once he comes to get the vehicle, I will never see it again.
Why would he be coming to get the car? Why wouldn't you ever see it again?

Can I hide the vehicle until we reach an agreement on the title?
We have no knowledge regarding what abilities you have. If your intent was to ask if it would be legal for you to do this, we have no way of knowing that either because you gave us no background facts or context whatsoever. Please do so, and we can then try to provide you with useful responses.

quincy

Maine

We both are on the title of the car. I am afraid once he comes to get the vehicle, I will never see it again. Can I hide the vehicle until we reach an agreement on the title?
If you are on the title, you own the car. If you and someone else are both on the title, you both own the car.

CardinalMaine

Who are "we"? You and your husband?

Why would he be coming to get the car? Why wouldn't you ever see it again?

We have no knowledge regarding what abilities you have. If your intent was to ask if it would be legal for you to do this, we have no way of knowing that either because you gave us no background facts or context whatsoever. Please do so, and we can then try to provide you with useful responses.
I apologize, "We" , my ex partner and I lived together, unmarried. He wants the car and is insisting I sign the title over to him, without any compensation for my half of the vehicle. I am asking, if I move the vehicle to an undisclosed location until he agrees to settle this with me in good faith and fairness, is that legal? Neither of us would drive it until we can agree on terms. Thank you for your response

quincy

I apologize, "We" , my ex partner and I lived together, unmarried. He wants the car and is insisting I sign the title over to him, without any compensation for my half of the vehicle. I am asking, if I move the vehicle to an undisclosed location until he agrees to settle this with me in good faith and fairness, is that legal? Neither of us would drive it until we can agree on terms. Thank you for your response
If you are coowner of the car, you can drive it and park it somewhere.

What were the terms you agreed to when you purchased the vehicle? Is there a balance owing on the car?

Just Blue

Who was paying for the car? who paid for upkeep of the car? Who was using the car on a daily basis?

Just Blue

He bought the car for me to use, I have been driving it and he drove our other vehicle. The loan is in his name, titled in both our names.
So he is making the payments/paid in full? The car is his and while you were together he allowed you to use it. I would give it back.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So he is making the payments/paid in full? The car is his and while you were together he allowed you to use it. I would give it back.
That would be the right thing to do, but there isn't necessarily a legal requirement to do so.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I see, well, it's a bit more nuanced than that. But, thank you for your opinion.
My opinion is that it is your car as much as it is his. You can choose to let your ex-sugar daddy keep paying for it, or you can give it back so he can sell it to recoup some of the cost of the car (if he so desires).

zddoodah

I apologize, "We" , my ex partner and I lived together, unmarried.
Ok, so you own a car jointly with your ex-boyfriend.

He wants the car and is insisting I sign the title over to him, without any compensation for my half of the vehicle.
I assume he has not explained to you why he thinks you should do that or why he's entitled to it. Correct?

I am asking, if I move the vehicle to an undisclosed location until he agrees to settle this with me in good faith and fairness, is that legal?
Based on the facts you have now provided, the answer is yes.

Note that, since the title is in both of your names, it matters not in the slightest who has paid any expenses relating to the car. Of course, if no one makes payments on a loan for the car, then the lender will seek to repossess and sell it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">