• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Shop Dispute- Do I have standing to win?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

titansfan1234

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I left my vehicle with a shop to have the AC fixed. It took 6 weeks. The AC wasn't fixed. I took it back. ANOTHER 6 weeks went by. I discovered that the person who took the car apart, didn’t know what he was doing and quit. The new person didn’t know how to fix the AC either or even how to put the car back together. Finally, after 12 total weeks, I picked it up. It still didn't work right so I took it elsewhere. The new shop told me it was one of the worst jobs they had ever seen in 30 years. Everything the previous shop had done had to be re-done. Also, several pieces had been broken by the previous shop.
Is the first shop responsible for the bill I paid to the second shop to fix the problems of the first shop?
My bill from the first shop charged me for labor. Can I get that back?
The parts charged from the first shop are up to 3 times more expensive than actual cost. Do I have standing to challenge the price and request some of that back if I have multiple examples of cheaper pricing?

BL

I left my vehicle with a shop to have the AC fixed. It took 6 weeks. The AC wasn't fixed. I took it back. ANOTHER 6 weeks went by. I discovered that the person who took the car apart, didn’t know what he was doing and quit. The new person didn’t know how to fix the AC either or even how to put the car back together. Finally, after 12 total weeks, I picked it up. It still didn't work right so I took it elsewhere. The new shop told me it was one of the worst jobs they had ever seen in 30 years. Everything the previous shop had done had to be re-done. Also, several pieces had been broken by the previous shop.
Is the first shop responsible for the bill I paid to the second shop to fix the problems of the first shop?
The parts charged from the first shop are up to 3 times more expensive than actual cost. Do I have standing to challenge the price and request some of that back if I have multiple examples of cheaper pricing?
Get you're inoice from the second shop ,and ask them to note what you typeped on it ,then go to small claims for money from the irrisponsible twits.

latigo

Your measure of damages (amount of claim) would be what was paid to the shop that failed to properly do the repairs. Not what someone else charged to perform the needed repairs.

Consequently, since you would be suing the first shop for its failure to fulfill its agreement to restore the A/C to an acceptable working order and to recover what they were paid, any issues as to whether or not it overcharged you becomes become moot.

Also, you would be entitled to recover judgment for the replacement costs for the "several pieces that had (allegedly) been broken", which would be nigh impossible to prove.

RRevak

You do realize mark-ups are standard for the industry right? I've seen parts cost a shop around $0.75 then turned around and sold for $10 each. Why? Because that's just how they choose to do things. And no you can't get your money back for finding those parts at cheaper prices. It wasn't their job to find you cheaper parts. That job fell on you and if you failed to find them yourself then give them to the shop to install (or at the very least be in communication w the shop for parts search) then you got what you got.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">