• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Automobile purchase contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kelihar52

I purchased a 2000 Honda Civic from a dealership here in Tulsa Oklahoma. We went to this dealer because he doesn't require a huge down payment and my credit was in the toilet but we had a car to trade in. Told the man that I am old and crippled so is my husband we need something reliable and good on gas so he showed us the 2000 Honda Civic it had a window off its track but they got it up and kept it up, it also needed to have the air conditioning recharged. I asked if it was something that they would fix and he said that they would. I kept bringing the car up there and sit for hours and they couldn't get it fixed, couldn't fix the window, couldn't get a new bracket for it, couldn't find a new door that would fit it. They kept telling me Oh yeah we got your new part bring the car up there and we'll fix it. After being jerked around for three or so weeks about this I texted the man and told him that he's not living up to his promises and he texted me that he would get the door fixed and that he would even if he had to buy a new door to put on it but nothing happened then either. We had the car approximately two months and we still hadn't received the title yet so we inquired about it and was told it should have been to me by now. But I hadn't received it and still no repairs were being done on it so we decided after 3 or so months, still with no title, that we'd had enough and told him that we were going to take all the texts of him saying that he was going to fix the car to a lawyer and just have them file a lawsuit against him because by sending that he would repair the problems in writing backed up our verbal contract. So he told me to come in that Friday and he would either get the car fixed or give me another one. so I went in that Friday and he had another car for us it was a 2002 Honda Accord and it ran like a striped ape. I am very happy with the car it's had a couple of problems but nothing major so far. But I'd already had this car for 6 months. when we finally got the title we went to tag the car because we had already gotten pulled over and my husband had already gotten a ticket that we now have to pay $250 fine for improper tag because the temporary tag that had been issued had been the sixth tag we've gotten. So because the tag was expired he got a ticket for it. so anyway we finally got the title and took it to get tag and the tag office told us that it was over $500 in order to tag it. I said $500? How could it be that much? She explained to me that the tag was in Sun bank or Sun loans name and my dealer had not transferred it into his own name so it owed more than $300 in fines plus 200 and some odd dollars in order to tag it. So he told us to bring the title to him and that he would go and register it in his dealership name and that would clear out all of the fines from the tag being out so long. So we brought the title back to him and we gave it to him. That was 2 months ago and we're getting ready to make another month payment on the car. I have texted and called several times, he won't answer my calls or texts. We go there and his snotty secretary says he isn't there. So I'm wondering if we can sue him for breach of contract since in the contract it says that the title would be delivered within a reasonable time frame? If so how much are we allowed to go after him for?

Kelihar52

Your actual costs to resolve this.

Go back to the DMV, pay what you have to pay to get your title and registration, then sue him in small claims court.
He has the title. He has had it put in his name...I think. He thought he would be able to get rid of the fees and he wouldn't have to actually pay them. And because I can't get the title from him I still have an expired tag. In Oklahoma we don't don't deal with the tags through the DMV, DMV is separate, that's where you go get your license but in the tag office is where you deal with the tags and in the tag office you can't pay them just to get a title. You have to bring in your title having been signed over to you and then they will issue you a tag after of course paying taxes and whatnot. What I wanted to know as far as what I could sue him for I mean as far as being able to recover the $250 that we're fixing to be out because he wouldn't issue us a title. As well as all the garbage he put us through.

adjusterjack

Bottom line: If the dealer can't give you good title you sue him for rescission and refund plus any costs you incurred as a result of his breach of contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">