• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Average/reasonable pet fee?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

applecruncher

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hey everyone,
A friend recently (a month ago) talked her landlord into letting her keep a cat she had rescued. Her building has a “no pet” policy, but instead of “hiding” the cat she was upfront and asked LL if she could keep it. He said okay (she’s a good tenant) but he told her she will have to pay a $200 non-refundable pet fee. He modified her lease and she signed/agreed and paid the $200. She’s happy, but asked if I felt the $200 is reasonable.

(LL said he had a prior tenant “hid” 2 cats and when the tenant moved the urine stains and smell were awful. LL found out when he saw the cats sitting in the window.)

I said yes, I think that's fair. I know someone who had to pay $350 dep for a puppy AND the rent was increased by $20/mo. I think she got off easy; she's fortunate he didn’t give her a deadline to get rid of it.

Thoughts? Thanks.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hey everyone,
A friend recently (a month ago) talked her landlord into letting her keep a cat she had rescued. Her building has a “no pet” policy, but instead of “hiding” the cat she was upfront and asked LL if she could keep it. He said okay (she’s a good tenant) but he told her she will have to pay a $200 non-refundable pet fee. He modified her lease and she signed/agreed and paid the $200. She’s happy, but asked if I felt the $200 is reasonable.

(LL said he had a prior tenant “hid” 2 cats and when the tenant moved the urine stains and smell were awful. LL found out when he saw the cats sitting in the window.)

I said yes, I think that's fair. I know someone who had to pay $350 dep for a puppy AND the rent was increased by $20/mo. I think she got off easy; she's fortunate he didn’t give her a deadline to get rid of it.

Thoughts? Thanks.
I don't know if there is a hard and fast rule regarding the amount one can charge for a pet fee.

I suppose some states can legislate it based upon the maximum amount of a security deposit that can be collected for a rental in that jurisdiction (since a pet fee essentially is a deposit that can used solely for expenses that occur due to occupancy from a pet).

As for me, I would consider the kind of pet itself, and the kinds of costs involved with cleaning up or repairing after such a pet has inhabited a rental unit. We're talking about repairing walls, baseboards, screens, cleaning and replacing carpets and carpet padding, cleaning up yards or damage to grass from urination, and flea treatments, just to name a few.

I have heard of a pet fees ranging from $100 per pet upwards of $1000, so I couldn't really say what an appropriate amount SHOULD be.

applecruncher

Yeah, I also agree the type of pet would be a factor. Dogs, imo, are more hassle (urine/feces in yard, barking, etc.) I notice some apts limit the size and breed of dogs allowed. I'm a cat lover myself, but I know they can do a lot of damage. Then there are the bizarre pets - snakes, iguanas, etc.

In the example I gave where LL had problem because former tenant had 2 cats, he wanted to tear out the carpeting anyway and treat the hardwood floors. But still - cats can scratch woodwork, cabinets, walls, etc.

I've known of pet fees to be $100 to $500. One property mgmt go here has a strict no pet rule - if someone violates it they are given notice to leave.

edited typo

Last edited:

HatRack

It tickles me the change of policy in the last 2 - 3 years due to the economy that Mom and Pop LL's and large PM run complexes are now taking pets.

I've been a pet friendly LL since I started in this business 14 years ago. To me the pet fees that LL's are charging is way too high. I would say on a average the fees that are being charged around Long Beach CA are $200 to $350. I don't agree with the non refundable bit in my State of CA. All additional fees are to be regarded as additional Security Deposit money which is very refundable. I haven't heard of any court cases challenging this practice. My gut tells me it's coming. Some also charge a monthly amount of rent per pet. $25 to $50 seems to be about average. I have heard of monthly fees as high as $100 per pet.

Me? I charge a one time additional security deposit of $100. No matter how many pets. Yup that is right. I have found in the last 14 years that tenants with pets take better care of their homes. Are usually happier. Stay with me longer. I have had only one unit trashed by cat pee in all that time.

But then I'm a force to reckon with when I am screening a applicant. Nothing much gets past me. I want to meet all fur or feathered applicants. Which make it fun for me and often the applicants.

There is no law that demands you, to not have fun with what you do. As long as you are professional for the most part you can work in a grin now and then.

applecruncher

Me? I charge a one time additional security deposit of $100. No matter how many pets. Yup that is right.
Question: What if applicant lies (to avoid the $100 fee), or gets a pet and doesn't tell you and you find out later they've been hiding a pet?

Ever had this happen, or if it does what will you do?

Hot Topic

I pay $600 per year to keep a pair of finches. That's the same amount that dog owners pay to keep animals who frequently relieve themselves (1 and 2) in the building's common areas (elevators, lobby, halls and so on).

applecruncher

I pay $600 per year to keep a pair of finches. That's the same amount that dog owners pay to keep animals who frequently relieve themselves (1 and 2) in the building's common areas (elevators, lobby, halls and so on).
Finches - as in birds?! $600 is HIGH. :eek:

atomizer

Reasonable pet fees is anything you agree to paying when you sign the lease. Of course, depending on your individual state laws regarding deposits/fees that may not be correct.

HatRack

I give them a 3 day notice to cure violations or quit the property. I am a big believer in forming a solid paper trail. Notices and pictures are your friends in court.

Then if they want to talk it out I will. It depends on the pet and on the tenants past performance with me.

If it is a pit. Nope. If the dog doesn't meet my criteria for the dwelling they are renting. Nope. If the dog does meet my criteria. As in licensed, fixed, current with shots. If the tenant has paid rent on time and is current with their rent. They are keeping their dwelling clean. The pet does not disturb others in the building. Then yes I would accept the pet.

I don't like liars and I don't like tenants trying to hide things from me. I make that very clear when they submit their application. Communication is the key to any relationship. Employer/Employee, Parent /child, teacher/ student. Landlord/Tenant ETC.

I am in charge of my property. The tenant is not. I respect their privacy and I expect them to respect my privacy as well.

It's worked pretty well for 14 years.
I have mostly long term tenants. 50% are 15 years and still going strong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">