• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back Child Support, Wage Garnish, Support Modification?!?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ellekayw

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Ex and I were divorced last Feb. July he "lost" his job but got a new one in North Dakota (!) in October. His base salary is low but his OT and bonuses are high.

The last alimony and child support payment I received was in December plus a few hundred dollars since - basically he's in major arrears. His father wants me to get ex's wages garnished. I have no idea where to start?? I can't afford a lawyer and will go to CS Enforcement next week but thought I'd ask here how does one go about getting wages garnished? And that can only be done for CS and not alimony, right? And is the % allowed to be garnished a % of base salary or ALL income he receives?

All that being said - I could actually go back to court bc CS order was based on him having the kids every other Friday after school through Monday morning, 2 weeks summer, certain even year holidays. Well, ex left FL Oct 1st and JUST came last week to see the kids for 5 days. So now I have them 99.9% of the time/year. But again, can't afford a lawyer and even if they raise it $x, $x times 0 is still 0 that I'd receive.

So - I guess I'm asking for advice? Where to start? How to start? Or just keep sitting here and waiting and hoping?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Ex and I were divorced last Feb. July he "lost" his job but got a new one in North Dakota (!) in October. His base salary is low but his OT and bonuses are high.

The last alimony and child support payment I received was in December plus a few hundred dollars since - basically he's in major arrears. His father wants me to get ex's wages garnished. I have no idea where to start?? I can't afford a lawyer and will go to CS Enforcement next week but thought I'd ask here how does one go about getting wages garnished? And that can only be done for CS and not alimony, right? And is the % allowed to be garnished a % of base salary or ALL income he receives?

All that being said - I could actually go back to court bc CS order was based on him having the kids every other Friday after school through Monday morning, 2 weeks summer, certain even year holidays. Well, ex left FL Oct 1st and JUST came last week to see the kids for 5 days. So now I have them 99.9% of the time/year. But again, can't afford a lawyer and even if they raise it $x, $x times 0 is still 0 that I'd receive.

So - I guess I'm asking for advice? Where to start? How to start? Or just keep sitting here and waiting and hoping?
http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/childsupport/

ellekayw

thanks

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/childsupport/
Thanks for the link but yes, I've been on that site and have been calling the number and it's always busy. But I do have the CS office address and guess I'll have to drive down there next week.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">