• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad debt, should I bother fighting it if filing BK?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ThinLizzy

What is the name of your state? NC

I am about to submit my BK forms. I just got a letter saying I owe my former apartments $820, and that this has been reported to the 3 credit bureaus.

Long story short this was for apt damages that the apartments did not charge within the time frame required by state law. I already sent them a certified letter about 8 months ago regarding this and this is the only thing I have heard from them since.

Since I am filing BK and this debt will be discharged anyway, should I bother to fight this after the fact? Will it hurt my credit any worse by being on my credit, even though it will be discharged anyway?I think I have a good argument for fighting the charges...but should I just let this go?

Last edited:

Who's Liable?

Include it in your matrix of creditors... After the discharge, if they contact you in regards to the debt, it is a violation of the BK, and they can be held financially responsible for it... You can sue them for damages...

ThinLizzy

Who's Liable? said:
Include it in your matrix of creditors... After the discharge, if they contact you in regards to the debt, it is a violation of the BK, and they can be held financially responsible for it... You can sue them for damages...
Thats what I was thinking...What I was wondering though, after you file BK, does it still show each individual debt on your credit report? And if so, is having that extra debt on there going to make me look worse on my CR (even though the debt was discharged)?

bigun

Dear GAWD-You're filing bk. How much worse can one more individual debt look on the reports?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">