• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad design of slide resulting in injuries

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1492Jewels

End Result?

What ended up happening in this case? Did you have any luck with an attorney? Did the business do anything?

quincy

Reviving old threads to post comments or questions is frowned upon on this forum.

If you are curious about what happened to hurtonslide, you could send the poster a private message. If hurtonslide is still visiting the forum after all this time, s/he may reopen the thread to reply or send you a return message.

And, if you have legal questions of your own concerning a similar problem, please start your own thread.

Thank you.

hurtonslide

I just saw someone asked for an update. I didn't have success finding an attorney, and ended up with too much else on my plate to continue. I've sucked up the continued tailbone pain I still have. My husband massages it almost nightly.

However I did find out today that there is a pending class action due to the number of injuries, all involving people going airborne. The facility owner is saying that the problems are "adults over a certain weight" (I was 130 at the time), and those who don't keep their hands and legs in full contact with the slide at all times are what are causing injuries. Of course this brings up the issue of how that is NOT how most people ride slides, the facility workers not telling kids, and even outright allowing adults to go down with kids in their laps. I know waivers are signed. However, as I believe when this happened, and still believe, concealing pertinent information, such as how often injuries are happening, is barring people from making informed decisions. I would not have gone down the slide if I knew how often adults are hurt on it. I will be contacting the attorney in charge of the plaintiff side. I'm less upset right now over my own pain (I've already accepted that it's a part of my life), and am more upset that, rather than do something about this, the owner is blaming people for not riding in a way very few people ride, and he hasn't addressed his employees letting people routinely ride down with kids in their laps, which prevents keeping your hands on the slide at all times and sends the clear message that hands on the slide isn't important. (Also the warning sign that is there is on the far side of the slide opposite the stairs, behind where employees stand, and so is not readily visible, and I can guarantee you that not every child going up there can even read even if it were right at the top of the stairs).

So I guess that's the update. There is a lawsuit going on, and I'm contacting the attorney in charge.

OHRoadwarrior

If it is such a danger and the danger is so well known, why do adults keep using the slide time after time? They have not removed electronic bulls from bars yet either. I suspect someone was finally related to an attorney.

RRevak

If it is such a danger and the danger is so well known, why do adults keep using the slide time after time? They have not removed electronic bulls from bars yet either. I suspect someone was finally related to an attorney.
Because people like me love them SOOOOOOO much!! :D

hurtonslide

I didn't know the slide was a danger when I went down it that one time. However the owners have been informed time and again, and did not make any changes nor did they inform parents about this. You know you may be tossed from a bull and be injured. You know the set of risks. You don't expect to go down a slide and end up with a back injury and then to find out it's not a rare freak accident, but rather a fairly common occurrence. This isn't included in the expected risks.

If you know people are being hurt on property you own, especially the main attraction for visitors, and you don't at least inform people that there's more than the expected risk, you're negligent.

Let's compare it to a hair dryer. It's common knowledge that if you use one while in a bathtub, you're probably going to fry yourself to death. But if the maker knows that holding the handle in one hand and the cord in the other has been resulting in a short that's been hurting people and says nothing about it, or even prints a tiny little warning on the bottom of that label about not using it in the bath while napping, the maker is responsible. This isn't a case of stupid people needing warnings on jars of peanut butter that the jar contains peanuts.

What you expect with a slide is that you may get a friction burn, not that you may get a back injury. The important piece here is that back injuries from going airborne is a common occurrence at this facility, and the owners are neither making changes to lessen the change nor informing people. We walk in expecting the typical risks of a slide, and accept that the rare freak accident may happen, only to find out after it's too late that back injuries are common. There are still people out there, commenting on articles about the lawsuit, who are fine with this, and will continue going down the slide, but they are choosing to do so with this information that people like me didn't have. I personally would not have gone down the slide. I was that kid who wouldn't go down slip-and-slides either. If others want to, and know the real risks involved, fine. I was not made aware of the real risks. Until this lawsuit, many people didn't know that these injuries are business as usual for this place.

Some commenters are saying that parents whose kids have been injured are to blame for not directly monitoring them. This facility bills itself as a place to let your kids run around while you sit and chat with other parents in the cafe. The employees monitoring kids are not only letting, and even helping, people go down the slide wrong, but have done so poor of a job of monitoring kids that several children were molested there in November by one man. Is the answer to start telling parents to go with their kids (thus killing the main attraction of getting a break while the kids burn off energy), or to bar adults (thus killing any chance to watch your kid)?

This place has problems, and the owners are looking the other way.

OHRoadwarrior

It appears you failed to watch slide being used and properly evaluate the risk associated with its use. I clearly see in the one news video, dad leaving the ground and landing on his butt off the last bump. It seems many adults are injured because they have kids on their laps.

Eekamouse

I have no opinion on this whole slide thing. I am just excited to be closing in on my thousandth post! Just a few more and I graduate to being a "SENIOR MEMBER". Will I get a party? Do I get a present? Will the ability to like posts and the ability to use emoticons come back to my home computer?

OHRoadwarrior

Fireworks immediately start flashing all over the screen with flying CONGRATULATIONS banners.

I have no opinion on this whole slide thing. I am just excited to be closing in on my thousandth post! Just a few more and I graduate to being a "SENIOR MEMBER". Will I get a party? Do I get a present? Will the ability to like posts and the ability to use emoticons come back to my home computer?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">