• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad review on google

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Enzo24

I left a bad review on a companies page because of how frustrated I was for the service I received.I didn’t slam anyone or say anything negative other than the fact that I was frustrated for the past few months. Within the hour the owner emailed me saying that it was within bad taste and that his legal team would be involved moving forward. Also that he was going to cancel the cheque I just deposited for my refund on my deposit.

I told him if he was going to go this far that I would just delete the review. He told me to let him know when it was done. I deleted it a few minutes later and changed it to a 4 star. I sent it over and he said thank you and that he would pass it along to his legal team. He said they would be in contact with me yesterday but I’ve heard nothing.

Can they still come after me if I have taken down the review and apologized? I don’t believe I was out of place by stating my frustration as there are multiple 1 star reviews on their google page as well.

Thank you

quincy

I left a bad review on a companies page because of how frustrated I was for the service I received.I didn’t slam anyone or say anything negative other than the fact that I was frustrated for the past few months. Within the hour the owner emailed me saying that it was within bad taste and that his legal team would be involved moving forward. Also that he was going to cancel the cheque I just deposited for my refund on my deposit.

I told him if he was going to go this far that I would just delete the review. He told me to let him know when it was done. I deleted it a few minutes later and changed it to a 4 star. I sent it over and he said thank you and that he would pass it along to his legal team. He said they would be in contact with me yesterday but I’ve heard nothing.

Can they still come after me if I have taken down the review and apologized? I don’t believe I was out of place by stating my frustration as there are multiple 1 star reviews on their google page as well.

Thank you
Are you located in the US? If so, what is the name of your state? If not, what is the name of your country?

Defamation laws vary by state in the US.

Although publishing negative reviews is legal, there can be a fine line between a negative review and a defamatory review.

Enzo24

I’m in Ontario Canada.

I don’t believe I had a defamatory review. All I ended up saying was how I wa sfrusterated with the business and how I would not be using them.

quincy

Defamation laws are different in Canada. FreeAdvice handles US law questions only, so you will need to seek legal advice in Ontario. Sorry.

Good luck.

quincy

Ok. But if I removed the review should I be fine! It was probably up for no longer than an hour
In the US, removing a defamatory review from its place online does not prevent the person/entity from suing anyway. It would only work to mitigate any damages suffered by the one defamed.

The less time libelous statements are available to read, however, generally the less harm to the reputation of the person/entity.

Enzo24

In the US, removing a defamatory review from its place online does not prevent the person/entity from suing anyway. It would only work to mitigate any damages suffered by the one defamed.

The less time libelous statements are available to read, however, generally the less harm to the reputation of the person/entity.

Oh ok. Is saying how frustrated I was with the business fall into the category ?

quincy

Oh ok. Is saying how frustrated I was with the business fall into the category ?
I don't know.

With defamation, the exact words used and the context will matter.

If you are worried, you can have an attorney in Ontario personally review what you wrote, and the reasons behind you writing what you wrote, to see if a defamation claim against you might have merit.

Good luck.

Enzo24

Ok, thing is I haven’t heard anything back from the company so I’m not sure what’s going on. I asked the owner to call me to discuss as I was confused and I’ve gotten no response?

quincy

Ok, thing is I haven’t heard anything back from the company so I’m not sure what’s going on. I asked the owner to call me to discuss as I was confused and I’ve gotten no response?
Consult with an attorney in Ontario if you have some concerns over what you wrote. FreeAdvice handles US law questions only. The laws of defamation in Canada are different.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">