• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Baiting a predator to get him arrested

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PayrollHRGuy

I understand the risks on my part, and planned to talk to my local police department, my end goal isnt to have them sentenced to prison for a long time, simply to bring awareness to my city and expose them as sex offenders. Jail time isnt important to me, getting them help and making sure the police have them on record is. I live in TX also.
Clearly you don't.

jackson-h3

it is nice that Gage wants to help others. i think Chris Hansen has much more pull than the average joe. I wanted to do something like this in my hometown of Jackson Heights NY. I did go the police station one day. The officer was nice, asked my name. He said that they require some experience or know how in criminal justice. The poster that mentioned insurance costs was correct. they told me aside from experience requirement that it costs a fortune to insure an operation like this plus other start up costs and it was not in their budget. Funny thing, while i was there the officer Google my name i guess to see what came up . i guess my information about my Fraternity reunion came up because he mentioned it. i think there are also strict security clearance requirements too meet and of course background checks. Good luck.

quincy

... they told me aside from experience requirement that it costs a fortune to insure an operation like this plus other start up costs and it was not in their budget ..
Police budgets are always strained. They must make good use of every dollar. Spending money to try to trap potential sex offenders is just not the smartest use of these funds.

For a look at the Texas 2018 law enforcement operating budget, to see where the dollars go, here is a link to that information:

https://www.tcole.texas.gov/content/operating-budget-2018

PayrollHRGuy

Trying to understand the reasons why people do what they do is a good goal. There are just a whole host of better ways to work toward that goal. :)
The "Clearly you don't." comment was in reply to her writing "I understand the risks on my part..."

westside

Police budgets are always strained. They must make good use of every dollar. Spending money to try to trap potential sex offenders is just not the smartest use of these funds.
Not when the funds can be spent fighting the absurd war on drugs that drugs is clearly winning.

PayrollHRGuy

The drug war was/is being fought incorrectly from a purely economic standpoint. Most enforcement was against the supply side. Which sounds great no need to really hassle the poor user. But in the real world stress on the supply side simply increases cost. Stress on the demand side reduces demand.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The officer was nice, asked my name. He said that they require some experience or know how in criminal justice.
Yes, he was nice, although he probably thought you were a kook. Most others would have just thrown you out of the precinct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">