• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bankruptcy and Renewing Security Clearance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

802GOLFER

I am from Vermont, and in 2015 I filed a petition to wipe out my debts due to my business having a downturn and also having employee/management issues with the business which made it a poor environment for me financially. Being a young business, I couldn't see myself recovering.

With advise of my lawyer, I filed for chapter 7 to get my life back on track. I was always a person who kept up very well on my credit card (1) and I had a mortgage. I was 22 when i opened the business, and probably made some young mistakes. I was always one who cared a lot about my finances before the business, and was big on my credit score. I had a 700+ before the business downturn.

I opened a franchise in 2012, and had difficulty getting off the ground, I got discouraged as many do with finances, I made ends meet but I was stressed to the limit, depressed and so on...

Anyway, I filed, it seems everything got cleared. A credit report is still showing a few charge offs/unknown statuses. Should i dispute these to have them put in close/paid status due to the chapter 7? I already disputed a couple.

The real question here is im about to renew my security clearance. My clearance never got revoked during my financial bumps (maybe this is a good sign?). After reviewing my reports (3), The most delinquent account I have on one report is 150 days but none of the other reports go that high showing that level of delinquency. How should I tackle getting my clearance renewed? Do you think I am at risk of being denied due to this situation? I am in the process of accepting a new job at the worst time since my clearance will probably need to go through before i begin the new job. I will be totally honest, but from what i can see, I was never 180 days+ delinquent on any account. 2/3 credit reports show very favorable payment records (the green OK) for most months, but there are a small handful of 30,60,90's delinquent and of course the bankruptcy is there too.

What are the risks here with my situation, and am I hoping to get this job with no actual chance of getting my clearance renewed? Thanks for any advice and observations.

802GOLFER

By the way, to complicate things more, I got audited the same year I filed chapter 7. I got audited for 2013, and they determined my business underpaid taxes due to a mistake while filing.

Long story short, I am on a payment plan currently to pay the IRS around $10k over time. It should not take much time, considering they take all of my federal returns and I am paying monthly. How do i disclose this on the SF86? Is this considered unpaid taxes? I am currently also appealing it while paying it, but while my lawyer works on the amendment, I continue to pay them. I have the means to pay them off immediately from my retirement, but the IRS opted to have me pay monthly instead.

FlyingRon

Credit checks are done as part of most security clearance. Bankruptcy itself isn't disqualifying. You explain it under 26.1. They're going to look at your vulnerabilities going forward (as well as if there appears to be anything untoward as part of this).

Yes you must answer yes to 26.3 about failure to pay taxes. You can then explain you are on a payment play.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">