• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bankruptcy couple

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nj.
Is it better to file bankruptcy as a married couple together or should you divorce and file separarely.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nj.
Is it better to file bankruptcy as a married couple together or should you divorce and file separarely.
Would you even be considering divorce if it weren't for your seeking some kind of advantage in your planned bankruptcy filing?

We were already considering divorce but wondering if I should file first. Her name is on some of the debts for eg. Home owed 135000 and cannot afford

bigun

You need to discuss this with your lawyer{s}.
If a divorce occurs within 180 days of the bk filing date, the assets of the divorce can become property of the bk estate.

LdiJ

We were already considering divorce but wondering if I should file first. Her name is on some of the debts for eg. Home owed 135000 and cannot afford
If its a chapter 7, it doesn't matter either way really...as long as you both intend to file. If its chapter 13, I think it would be wiser to do it after you divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">