• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bankruptcy & senior citizens

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annie128

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

My dad age 79 owes 35,000 in CC debt. He has no estate, no bank accounts and only makes 950.oo a month is SS. He lives in a senior citizens housing and is over his head in debt. When he passes on if he has no estate would any of his kids be liable for his debt?, I told him I did not think so but he still wants to be sure. He does have a 4,000 policy for burial cost. Can he claim bankruptcy or should he just stop paying his CC bills. Should I go through a lawyer or can we file without one? He is limited so I need to direct him in the least expensive direction. If you have any other advise I would appreciate it. Thank you for your help.
Ann

bigun

I'm sure others will disagree since he's judgment proof but, I'd help him file bk just for the peace of mind in not having to deal with collection activity.
Unless someone else's name is on the account. there will be no liability for the offspring.
Most bk lawyers give free initial consultations. Talk with a couple and get all of his options explained.

A

absconder

What in the heck did the ole geezer do to rack up 35k in debt? I hope he at least got laid for that much! Theres the right way to deal with this and a wrong way. If you go about it in the wrong way Id make sure his SS cant be messed with.

annie128

bigun-Thank you for your reply I will follow up on your advise.

absconder- This site is about life and people and that geezer is MY father and if thats the only thing that your trailer trash mouth could of said on this matter then you should of kept it in the trailer park.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">