• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Banned from a club

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would also have to respectfully disagree with you. I have read many of your and Senior Judges postings and some of them are informative and interesting, and some of them are comical, but never the less, the whole point of being an Independent Contractor, is being allowed to operate Independently, if you restrict my right to work somewhere or for someone I am no longer Independent.

I am not saying I can just show up at some random club and demand to work the club. Most comedy clubs have an open door policy to a comic once they have at least Hosted there before, this club in particular has allowed me to do Hosting sets, guest sets, and has even allowed me to shoot my DVD there. They are mad at me simply because I helped out a comic that they don't like, and that's where my argument of "I should be able to work where ever I want, whenever I want" comes from, not from a sense of arrogance, but because I am an Independent Contractor and not their employee.

It only makes sense that someone working for Coke cant go work part time at Pepsi, that's an employee and they don't have the right to go work for Pepsi if they want, because of exclusivity.
You seem to think that your right to independence somehow overrides THEIR right to run their business as they see fit. Funny thing is that you have no absolute RIGHT to work there in the first place!

As you've been told (over and over again) - this may not feel fair to you, but it is definitely NOT illegal and definitely does NOT interfere with your rights.

mlane58

I would also have to respectfully disagree with you. I have read many of your and Senior Judges postings and some of them are informative and interesting, and some of them are comical, but never the less, the whole point of being an Independent Contractor, is being allowed to operate Independently, if you restrict my right to work somewhere or for someone I am no longer Independent.

I am not saying I can just show up at some random club and demand to work the club. Most comedy clubs have an open door policy to a comic once they have at least Hosted there before, this club in particular has allowed me to do Hosting sets, guest sets, and has even allowed me to shoot my DVD there. They are mad at me simply because I helped out a comic that they don't like, and that's where my argument of "I should be able to work where ever I want, whenever I want" comes from, not from a sense of arrogance, but because I am an Independent Contractor and not their employee.

It only makes sense that someone working for Coke cant go work part time at Pepsi, that's an employee and they don't have the right to go work for Pepsi if they want, because of exclusivity.
You can disagree all day long, but that doesn't change the fact that under the law, whether you are an independent contractor or an employee, the employer isn't obligated by the law to contract you for hire or keep you hired. As long as the employer isn't violating your rights under Title VII, the employer can do and say as they please. From what I have read of this post you tend to be the one with a "sense of arrogance."

cyjeff

Feel free to unionize.

Until then, you are under the same "at will" to work, or not, that the rest of us operate under.

jdawg83

My point of argument is not to change everyone's perception. I agreed with everyone's input, mainly Lee's. My disagreement is with Zinger aka "Frick". While I agree with your standpoint on while I might think its unfair, its Legal. Not once in this forum have I requested statutes, common law, or other Tables of Authority to overturn the injustice that I feel that I have received...my argument was that it was just BS and that I felt that he was exercising exclusionary principles over me, which is not his right as I am an IC. I have no problem with him saying you cant work here because your not funny, , or I hate your shoes or haircut, or we had an argument because im your an Obama Supporter, or i think Sarah Palin's hot, or that her daughter shouldn't be dressing in snow princess outfits in PA and should be going to school in AK like the rest of the 9 year old kids...I just found it odd that he vocally made it known that the only reason why he doesn't want me around was because I worked for "Sara" because he doesn't like her, to bad so sad, moving on.

My problem is this, both Frick and Frack give good advice, albeit sometimes in an arrogant, pissy, standoffish type of way and Zinger is taking what I said out of context.

I feel (IMO) that if i told Senior Judge ("Frack") have a great afternoon, SJ would over analyze it and question me on what my definition of "great" is.

And Zinger ("Frick") would take it totally out of context and assume I mean he had a sh*tty morning.

I enjoy your responses however and look forward to your comments in the future

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">