• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Baseball cards and other sports memorabilia.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

If the current sale takes EVERYTHING in his collection, I agree.

But if the current sale is for only some items, the REMAINDER should be appraised.
Agreed. It sounds like it was a package deal, though.

LdiJ

This is one of those cases where I am simply not comfortable with the OP or the elderly gentleman making a decision based on the advice of an internet forum. Particularly one where the advice is so definite and so much money is involved.

I firmly believe that a pause needs to be placed on everything until someone has consulted an attorney on behalf of the elderly gentleman. Nobody even knows at this point if the check is any good. If the attorney believes that a contract has been made and the check proves to be valid then the deal may have to continue as is. If not, then the opportunity has been taken to preserve at least some of the assets.

If the dealer is on the up and up, the dealer won't mind the scrutiny.

quincy

This is one of those cases where I am simply not comfortable with the OP or the elderly gentleman making a decision based on the advice of an internet forum. Particularly one where the advice is so definite and so much money is involved.

I firmly believe that a pause needs to be placed on everything until someone has consulted an attorney on behalf of the elderly gentleman. Nobody even knows at this point if the check is any good. If the attorney believes that a contract has been made and the check proves to be valid then the deal may have to continue as is. If not, then the opportunity has been taken to preserve at least some of the assets.

If the dealer is on the up and up, the dealer won't mind the scrutiny.
No one who comes to this forum, or any forum for that matter, should ever blindly accept the advice offered by anonymous strangers - and the terms of use for this site make that clear.

If nyjetsboy123 wants to recommend to his elderly friend that he seek out an attorney in his area - and the elderly man wishes to spend the money to do so - that is not bad advice.

I am sorry you feel uncomfortable.

zddoodah

I live in GA and have a friend that has millions of dollars of rare baseball cards.
On what do you base this appraisal?

The person gave my friend $50,000 check
When did this happen? Has the check been negotiated? Did it clear the bank on which it was drawn?

but could not take everything. He is supposed to come back tomorrow or Monday.
Did the guy return? If so, what happened?

Can my friend legally get out of this transaction?
Your post suggests that your friend entered into a contract for the sale of whatever items in exchange for $50k. Is there a written contract? Is there any inventory of exactly what the buyer has already taken?

Regardless, you mentioned "some memory issues" but seemed to steer clear of any implication that your friend is mentally incompetent. Absent a showing of mental incapacity, the answer is no.

I don't disagree with the suggestions that this guy seek legal advice. I also wouldn't let the buyer take anything else without first negotiating the check or at least verifying funds available.

quincy

Making sure the check is valid before turning over the rest of the cards is a smart idea.

That said, nyjetsboy123 posted on Saturday and the rest of the cards were supposed to be picked up today. Any advice provided now is probably too late to be useful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">