• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued by the State of Ohio Collections Enforcement for tuition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WR2233

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hello! I received a certified letter from my local court that the State of Ohio Collections Enforcement is suing me on behalf of my university for charges from 3 years ago.

Earlier this year, I was able to log onto my University Account and paid the remaining balance ($3,020.45). It now shows that the amount owed is $0.

Now, I received a letter that the University is suing me through the Ohio Attorney general for nearly $5,500. The letter came from my local court house. The plaintiff cites amount, interest, and misc. fees to show the amount which is about $5.5K

I do not want to go to court. It says that I have 28 days to respond. There is a case number in the top corner of the paper (does this mean that it is already on my record for public background?).

I already paid the University over $3K. Do I still have to pay and additional $5.5K?

I do not want this on my record because I am apply for jobs in underwriting and cannot have anything on background check. Is it too late to settle out of court? I will be calling to local law office assigned to represent the Ohio Attorney General on behalf of my University.

I dont know what questions to ask to start off. If I have to pay the $5K to keep this off my record, I will take a loan from my in-laws. But I just need to know how to handle this. I do not have my own lawyer.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

RJR

Do you have to pay the amount in the lawsuit? No one can answer that, as the facts are the determinable question.

If you are sued, it is a matter of public record, yes, but that in and of itself means that you had a complaint filed against you, not if you are legally responsible to pay/owe it.

WR2233

Thanks for the reply! I don't want this to go to court. I am willing to pay.
Any suggestions on what I should ask when I call the law office tomorrow? Or should I basically be willing to pay $5.5K?

RJR

If you don't believe you owe it, don't pay it. Read the complaint carefully and see if there is any way you could possibly owe it, or ANY amount. Discuss those facts with the lawyer.

LdiJ

Thanks for the reply! I don't want this to go to court. I am willing to pay.
Any suggestions on what I should ask when I call the law office tomorrow? Or should I basically be willing to pay $5.5K?
When you talk to the law office be very calm, cool and respectful, but also be firm that you paid the University what you owed them on whatever date that you did it. If you can provide copies of any payment confirmation you received or anything showing your account balance as zero, provide that to them.

If the lawyer's office is not a total dirt bag collection agency they should correct the record. If they do not, and continue on with the suit, then you have to show up in court and provide your evidence to the judge.

WR2233

When you talk to the law office be very calm, cool and respectful, but also be firm that you paid the University what you owed them on whatever date that you did it. If you can provide copies of any payment confirmation you received or anything showing your account balance as zero, provide that to them.

If the lawyer's office is not a total dirt bag collection agency they should correct the record. If they do not, and continue on with the suit, then you have to show up in court and provide your evidence to the judge.
Thanks! I will follow this advice. I really dont want to go to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">