• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being Sued for $2553.55

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Don't forget...any payment and in some cases, the agreement to make payments resets the clock. Don't agree to that unless you are able to pay on it. These guys will turn on you if they can. They will want their money...and not in low installments. I could tell you of an experience I had with a law firm in southern florida, but I wont because a certain person here gets bored hearing my stories. It would shed some light on how these guys act like they will coperate, but then turn on you like dogs and want blood.

If its is past the SOL...fight it. You can file for a "REQUEST FOR ADMISSIONS, REQUEST FOR PRODUCTION AND INTERROGATORIES" (discovery) and get the info you need (if they have it). If they don't, they wont have much of a case....

dcatz

OP – I’ll be happy to address your question about ADR. I note that the member from Florida, who is guiding your over-all response, is now requesting statutory support for anything that conflicts with his advice. I have also reviewed his prior posts and know that California statutes have been previously provided and ignored. I am not going to be another caught in that conflict and will limit my response. I trust that the member will inform you further.

All California courts are required to provide an ADR mechanism. It formerly was non-binding arbitration and is now mediation. Within 180 days of the date the case was filed, a Case Management Conference will be scheduled. You may have received notice when you were served; if not, the date has yet to be set and the plaintiff will serve notice. Look for it, if you were not served and check with the court, if you do not get served. Failure to participate is sanctionable.

You will be required to file a Case Management Conference Statement not less that 15 days before the CMC. Included in the Statement will be a request for your ADR preference(s). You can review a sample of the document here:
http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/forms/fillable/cm110.pdf

At the CMC, the court will make a decision about the method for ADR. If the parties have not established a mutually acceptable private alternative, as explained in the Information Sheet that you received, the court will order a method for you. Normally, this will be mediation by one of a panel of “neutrals”, who have been approved by the court to serve in this capacity.

All of this assumes that there has not been an earlier disposition of the case in another manner.

I hope that answers that question and I return you to the member from Florida for further guidance.

(Eleanor Roosevelt was right.)

Hello, GulfBreeze. REQUEST FOR ADMISSIONS, REQUEST FOR PRODUCTION AND INTERROGATORIES. Those are two separate forms? Should those be submitted at the same time as the GD or should we wait to see what their response is to that first? If they can't provide any kind of evidence it's within the time frame, then, do we need to or is it on them, since, they brought this action? Will we need to have proof, only if, they have something which goes against what we're saying? Even if we still have statements or other records from the plaintiff(not sure if we do, will check), I don't know if it would show when we last paid. Of course, they could always disagree. It seems like it would be a never ending vicious circle.

Hello, Dkatz. The CMC is slated for Feb 04. It seems it would be preferable to have this resolved before that time. I know we want to get this settled as soon as possible. Though, if we don't have to pay them, then, having time to research this is beneficial. For now, we just want to file an answer with the court, so, it doesn't become a default & we wind up having to pay, when, facts would show we don't have to.

This is for either of you or anyone else who wants to jump in. We & the plaintiff's attorney could have a written agreement for us to pay x amount a month for x period of time. Three months down the line they could make some kind of claim which would render it null & void? Dishonest & unethical, certainly. If there's any possibility of that, it looks like going through the courts would be better. Though, we really wanted to try & avoid doing so.

SHORTY LONG

IF You & The Plaintiff's Attorney Can Come To A Meeting Of The Minds With An Amicable Solution Then Do So; And Consider Filing It With The Court!

dcatz

I have a sense that GulfBreeze may not be immediately responsive. Something related to the need for the new signature line. I may be wrong. My own posting is sporadic and will conclude or diminish again shortly. I hope that you do find additional assistance, if GB fails to inform you promptly.

There are two ways to accomplish the desired research:
1) Start it now and complete it before a response is due. There is an inherent problem, if plaintiff will not cooperate in informal discovery.
2) File a response and initiate the formal discovery which is then your right.

If you find that the debt is time-barred or that the plaintiff is otherwise unable to meet its burden of proof, file a Motion for Summary Judgment.

We & the plaintiff's attorney could have a written agreement for us to pay x amount a month for x period of time. Three months down the line they could make some kind of claim which would render it null & void? Dishonest & unethical, certainly. If there's any possibility of that, it looks like going through the courts would be better. Though, we really wanted to try & avoid doing so.
Theoretically possible but highly improbable. A written agreement pre-response is a Confession of Judgment. Post-response, it’s a Stipulation for Payments and Judgment. Essentially the same document, done at different points in the litigation. Should you enter into either, ensure that there is a provision for a “grace period” to cure any payment default. 10 days is common and reasonable. Thus, if a payment is due on the 1st and is not received, plaintiff must give written notice to cure the default and payment must be received within 10 days of notice date. If you remain concerned, send payments certified, RRR.

Any agreement should also provide that the pending action will be dismissed with prejudice, if all obligations are performed fully and timely.

This is not to say that you should discontinue present efforts to investigate the SOL.

Requests for Admissions, Requests for Production and Interrogatories are three distinct forms of discovery. There are also Form Interrogatories and Special Interrogatories. Examples of the former can be found on the site to which you were directed. Special Interrogatories are those which you craft yourself. Discovery can be initiated with a response or started later. The tactical decision of timing is yours.

Requests for Admissions, Requests for Production and Interrogatories are three distinct forms of discovery. There are also Form Interrogatories and Special Interrogatories. Examples of the former can be found on the site to which you were directed. Special Interrogatories are those which you craft yourself. Discovery can be initiated with a response or started later. The tactical decision of timing is yours.
You're 100%.

and I did file 3 seperate forms....all notarized and sent CMRR. the info will just cement my defense if they submit the info. it was also to let them know i was seriously going to fight this and give them the chance to dismiss it before the trial...otherwise, its their time and money.

dcatz

You're 100%.
Thank you. Perhaps you'd like to supplement your response for the OP's benefit? The question was directed to you.

It may be selfish, but it appears that she is more concerned about her own case than about yours.

You're 100%.

and I did file 3 separate forms....all notarized and sent CMRR. the info will just cement my defense if they submit the info. it was also to let them know i was seriously going to fight this and give them the chance to dismiss it before the trial...otherwise, its their time and money.
the 100% right statement was to your explanation on what to do....followed by a AND which went on to mention that i did file 3 distinct forms in my motions and will soon be filing a motion to compel since they have not answered it yet.

dcatz

I think she needs to know WHAT discovery to do - WHAT RFAs, PODs etc.
Maybe I'm wrong. I'll leave it up to the two of you.

I think she needs to know WHAT discovery to do - WHAT RFAs, PODs etc.
Maybe I'm wrong. I'll leave it up to the two of you.
REQUEST FOR PRODUCTION

DEFINITIONS
For these Requests:
A. The terms ″person” or “persons” shall mean all entities, including but not limited to
individuals, groups, or associations however formed.
B. The term “you” refers to Plaintiff, including all past and current employees and agents
of this Plaintiff, and any person over which this Plaintiff exercises the power to control and
direct.
C. The term “document” means any written, recorded, or graphic matter whether
produced, reproduced or stored on papers, cards, tapes, belts, or computer devices or any other
medium in your possession, custody or control, or known by you to exist, and includes all
originals, and all prior drafts. It includes all original business records, non-identical copies,
computations, memoranda of oral or telephone conversations, tabulations, records of
correspondence, notes made on other documents, microfilms, etc.
D. The term “identify” when referring to a person asks for the following information:

(1) Full name;
(2) Present or last known residential address and present or last known business
address;
(3) Present or last known telephone number;
(4) If an individual, the present or last known occupation, job title, employer, and
employer’s address;
(5) If an entity, the present or last known description of the type of entity
(partnership, corporation, etc.) and main purpose of the entity.
E. The term “identify” when referring to a document asks for the following information:
(1) Form of the document (letter, notation on card, etc.)
(2) Title or heading of document, if any
(3) Date of creation of the document, and date of any alteration to the
document
(4) Complete information to identify creator and recipient of the document
(5) Present location of the document and custodian of the document

DEFENDANT XXXXX, appearing pro se, requests Plaintiff to produce for inspection and copying the original of the following documents and things at the offices of Plaintiff or such other place as the parties may hereafter agree.
These Requests for Production of Documents shall be deemed continuing so as to
require supplementary answers if you obtain further information between the time
answers are served and the time of trial.

1. Any and all applications for credit, omitting nothing there from, made by or on behalf
of the Defendant to xxxxxx.
2. Any and all documents, omitting nothing there from, bearing Defendant’s signature
that in any way supports the Plaintiff’s claim.
3. Any and all documents, omitting nothing there from, whether or not signed or alleged
to have been signed by the Defendant that in any way supports the Plaintiff’s claim.
4. Any and all charge slips, omitting nothing there from, signed or alleged to have been
signed by the Defendant under the open account with xxxxxxxx.
5. Any and all charge slips, omitting nothing there from, whether or not signed or
alleged to have been signed by the Defendant under the open account with xxxxxxx.
6. Any and all periodic billing statements issued to anyone, including the Defendant,
omitting nothing there from, both those showing actual purchases and those merely
showing the balance brought forward, under the open account with xxxxxxxxxx
that is referred to in your complaint, or in any other way related to or part of the
balance upon which you are suing.
7. Any and all correspondence between xxxxxxxxx and the Defendant, omitting
nothing there from, related in any way to transactions that you allege are part of the
balance sued for under the open account with xxxxxxxxx, or the account sued
for in general.
8. Any and all correspondence between the Plaintiff and Defendant, omitting nothing
there from, related in any way to the open account with xxxxxxx that is
referred to in your complaint, or to the account sued for in general.
9. Any and all correspondence between the Plaintiff and Plaintiff’s attorney, omitting
nothing there from, related in any way to the open account with xxxxxxxxx
that is referred to in your complaint, or to the account sued for in general.
10. Any and all correspondence between the Plaintiff and any other debt collection agency, omitting nothing there from, related in any way to the open account with xxxxxxxxxx that is referred to in your complaint, or to the account sued for in general.
11. Any and all correspondence between the Plaintiff and any other collection agency,
omitting nothing there from, related in any way to the open account with xxxxxxxx that is referred to in your complaint, or to the account sued for in general.
12. Any and all correspondence between the Plaintiff and any entity, omitting nothing
there from, related in any way to the open account with xxxxxxxx that is
referred to in your complaint, or to the account sued for in general.
BY:_________________________________
XXXXXXX, Defendant, pro se
Address
City, state zip
Telephone#
CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE
UNDER PENALTY OF PERJURY, I certify that a copy of the foregoing was provided
by U.S. Mail, postage fully pre-paid Certified Return Receipt Request, Return Receipt Number
XXXXXX to ATTORNEY NAME AND ADDRESS.

BEFORE ME personally appeared NAME who, being by me duly sworn and identified in
accordance with California Law, did execute the foregoing in my presence this _______ day of
______________ 2007.

dcatz

Sorry to intrude. I'm sure the OP will find that very helpful. However, the "Certificate of Service" will not be acceptable in CA. CA doesn't require the notarization but does require attestation under penalty of perjury pursuant to the laws of the State. This form will work:
http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/forms/fillable/pos030.pdf
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: Just note that, since this will be your discovery and you are parties to the action, someone else will have to sign off on this for you.

Last edited:
It may be selfish, but it appears that she is more concerned about her own case than about yours.
Amazing! Actually caring about the outcome of our situation. Can't imagine why :p Honestly, though, I am happy to read all ideas, recommendations, stories, etc Even ones which may not exactly pertain to these circumstances. This is a good learning process.

DCatz, you mentioned we(my husband & I)are parties to the action. Is that still true, even though, I'm not named in the suit? Some couples may not take on each other's debts, but, we're best friends & partners & handle everything together. Plus, I'm the one that deals with the finances. My choice & he's more than happy to let me do it. We do discuss things together, of course.

I mailed off the GD form to the court & to the plaintiff's attorney. I looked it up & the statute of limitations for collections is four years in CA. It begins running on an unpaid debt from the date of last activity or the delinquent account was written off as a bad debt by the original creditor. I know we haven't paid in five to six years. When they declared it a chargeoff, I'm not quite sure, but, I believe it's been more than four years. At what point the started the SOL, that we also don't know.

Wanted to give an answer to the court before 30 days was up. Didn't want them to think we were ignoring this & wind up being in default. The discovery & so forth sounds like it might take a little more time. We'll be dealing with that while we await a response, if any. We realize they may not reply. Not sure what records, if any, we have here which would support what we're saying. Or, where we can go to get them, if we don't. I might not be on for a few days, but, I will be back with more questions to help with the next step. Thanks again.

dcatz

I am sorry. An unwarranted assumption. Despite the use of the first person plural throughout, I see that you said in your first post that it was your husband who was served. In that case, no, you are not a party to the action.

As far as coming and going, it is no problem for me. I have dropped off the site for 6-8 months at a time before. There are always competent people willing to answer questions.

As far as what records you might have, I suggest that the larger issue is what records they have. They have the burden of proof. They must prove liability. At least until there is some indication that there is a tangible basis for the allegations, the responsibility is not yours to prove that you are not liable. That is the reason for the importance of discovery, even if you had to file a response to get the right to obtain it.

Hello, Dcatz. At some point, I might also be served with a summons, as, I owe roughly the same amount as my husband. The debt also incurred while I was going through health issues. Guess we should be thankful for small favors that they didn't serve us both at the same time. All I'm learning here will prove helpful & useful, if, it's ever my turn.

Big oooops on our part. Yesterday, the SASE we included with the information to the court, was in our mail. It felt full like they had sent everything back. They did. Reason being, my husband had forgotten to put his name & our address on one part :eek: Don't know how we missed it. Especially me, since, I always review things, at least, three times. I guess because this is all new & we're rather anxious about it. Even though the courthouse is 30 or so miles away(which is why we sent the information certified)my husband will walk it in tomorrow so there are no further delays. We will also need to send another copy to the plaintiff's attorney.

Found out the fee for the GD form is $180. Thinking about using the fee waiver. Is there any reason they'd reject that request? Obviously, if you lie, which we wouldn't. They probably don't have time to verify bank accounts & whatnot while my husband is standing there, but, could it be turned down later on? If so, would that make the form he filed void? Can't really afford it, but, might just pay it anyway to make sure it's filed properly.

dcatz

If you looked at the fee waiver link provided in post #7, you'll see that it's filed under penalty of perjury.

Not having been through the experience, I couldn't really tell you what, if anything, each individual court does to verify the information.

Look the form over, if you haven't already. Assuming there is no risk of later being accused of having commited perjury, I would think there would be no harm in taking a completed copy with you, presenting it and seeing if it's sufficient. If it is, fine, and if it isn't, you pay the filing fee.

I'm sorry. I could have told what the fee would be, but you said early on that you were seeking a fee waiver.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">