• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being sued for telephone (sex) call

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

johnsk

I made a call to a phone sex line... and was not told under what name the bill would come under... A couple of months later, I saw a bill on one of my statements from a copmpany I did not recognize... and the number (800 number) beide it was not a "correct" number - could not get hold of the right company... SO.. I asked my credit card company to check it out... and they said the $20 had been removed from my account... A couple of months later I get a call from the phone-sex place... the tell me I owe 20 plus another $25 for "chargeback" fees.. I told them I would pay the original fee, but I would need to see a bill proving they were charged the $25 (which they never were) ... and furthermore, it was not my fault that the company 1) didn't have the correct number on the credit card statement, and 2) didn't give the credit card company the proper information in the "dispute", which was "decided" in my favor, without me ever knowing or finding out who they were! They refused, demanding this extra money.... I said I would pay the $20 and they said that was unacceptable... and hung up.
I got a letter recently from a law firm (in Canada), indicating the company will sue me for $140 - 20 plus 25 (chargeback fee that was never charged to the company from my credit card caompny) plus another $35 "admin" fee from the company (in California), and $60 "legal" fee.... I got a call from them saying "You don't want your name in the paper.. with this type of information in it.. what kind of call it was,, etc". etc...
I feel I am being extorted. What should I do? thanks.

HomeGuru

You should have sent a check for $20 when you knew the company wanted the money.
Now you can document their illegal collection tactics and file a complaint against them.

J

johnsk

Hi and thanks for your reply... I had no way of getting hold of this company... The only thing on the credit card was a (wrong) number and "DIT" which wasn't even their name... The name is DITA... and... what about their collection tactics, specifically, is "illegal"? Thanks.. JOHN

J

johnsk

Hi and thanks... I would like to know HOW and who to file a complaint against... and details of what exactly is "illegal" about their tactics... Thanks.. JOHN

J

johnsk

Hi and thanks... I would like to know HOW and who to file a complaint against... The law firm, company, or both? and how? Thanks.. JOHN

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

"How" is too general of a question. In order to teach you "how", we'd have to put you through law school.

You may find it helpful to go to a major bookstore and take a look for a legal "how to" book. You'll know you have the correct book because it will be the one without pictures of nude women and bestiality.

IAAL

J

johnsk

Hi and thanks.. I don't understand what you mean by: "..why?". Are you asking why I would file a complaint.. I am asking how to.. and what in their actions specificaly is "illegal" so I can document it properly, and what to do NOW. Thanks... John

JETX

Jesus, John!!

If you are old enough to call the sex line... you are certainly old enough to do a little 'self-help' research!!!

Though I will not 'hold your hand' while you do this, I will offer the following for YOU to try to get out of this problem YOU have created.

1) Click on http://www.ftc.gov
2) Find the link to the FDCPA (Fair Debt Collection Practices Act) and READ IT.
3) You should be able to figure out what you need to do to challenge or halt their attempts to collect.
4) Send them a letter (your post said you only had an invalid phone number in one place, but also said you had received a letter). Use the address in the letter.
5) If you want, you can forget about paying them anything, if you can sleep with it. Or, you can pay them the $20 by money order to pay the original amount.... you decide.

J

johnsk

...let him without sin cast the first stone.
Help is what I asked for, and what this site is (apparantly)for... I'm sure if you had read my original post you would see that it is NOT a problem I created, but a scam - wrong numbers, company name unkown.. etc.. and then LATER a "bill" for more than double.. with a phone call telling me that nothing short of FULL payment will be accepted.. then a lawyer's bill... etc.. NO, this is not a problem I created... it is a problem caused by scammers who feel they do no wrong. Anyways.. thanks for the link, dink.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

johnsk said:
...let him without sin cast the first stone.
Help is what I asked for, and what this site is (apparantly)for... I'm sure if you had read my original post you would see that it is NOT a problem I created, but a scam - wrong numbers, company name unkown.. etc.. and then LATER a "bill" for more than double.. with a phone call telling me that nothing short of FULL payment will be accepted.. then a lawyer's bill... etc.. NO, this is not a problem I created... it is a problem caused by scammers who feel they do no wrong. Anyways.. thanks for the link, dink.

My response:

I just went to "Confession" this morning, and received Dispensation and Forgiveness from Father O'Flaragherty.

I am without sin.

Now, where did I put that pile of rocks . . .?

IAAL

J

johnsk

OK.. thanks... I have been a bit "angry" about this.. so.. Being in a church with an Irish priest.. you may like this one:
Three kids were asked at sunday school which part of us they thought goes to heaven first after we die...
Timothy said: I think it's our hands!
The teacher said:"very good Timmy".. why do you say that?
"Because, when we pray we lift our hands to the lord!"
.."Very good'''", the teacher replied!
"No, I think it our heart... because that is where our faith lies...", said Bobby...
"Very good".. the teacher replied...

"No, NO... I know absolutely what part goes first.." said Johnny emphatically... "It's our LEGS!".

"Why do you say that?", said the teacher.

"Because... I came 'ome from school last week, and me father and mother were in their bedroom.... me mother had 'er legs pointed straight up in t'air, and she was yelling:"Oh, my lord, I'm coming, I'M COMING!".. and, if it weren't for me brave father pinning 'er down, I'm sure we would o' lost 'er!!".
The link was VERY helpful... Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">