• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being taken to court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

confused1871

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

I am being taken to court for breaking a lease. My only source of income is Social Security Disability - I was wondering can that be garnished?

My 2nd issue when working with collection agency that was representing the apt complex the payments they were demanding was too high - I want to make good on the debt however I need to be able to survive too on a fixed income.

justalayman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

I am being taken to court for breaking a lease. My only source of income is Social Security Disability - I was wondering can that be garnished?

My 2nd issue when working with collection agency that was representing the apt complex the payments they were demanding was too high - I want to make good on the debt however I need to be able to survive too on a fixed income.
I do not believe SSDI payments can be garnished BUT if there is any other money commingled with the SSDI money in a bank account, they can take any money not protected from garnishment. Sometimes that becomes an after the fact issue as they swoop in and freeze and seize the money in the account and make you prove what should not have been taken.

a collection agency is not required to accept anything less than payment in full. That may be the only way they are going to get their money though so if you really are willing and able to make the payments you offered, tell them you are judgment proof so if they want their money they either accept the payments you offer or try to get it through the courts.

BL

If they do get a judgment it will likely show in any Credit Reports and effect your credit .

Who's Liable?

I do not believe SSDI payments can be garnished BUT if there is any other money commingled with the SSDI money in a bank account, they can take any money not protected from garnishment. Sometimes that becomes an after the fact issue as they swoop in and freeze and seize the money in the account and make you prove what should not have been taken.

a collection agency is not required to accept anything less than payment in full. That may be the only way they are going to get their money though so if you really are willing and able to make the payments you offered, tell them you are judgment proof so if they want their money they either accept the payments you offer or try to get it through the courts.
X2...

And to get it in WRITING!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">