• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Belize & Attorneys -- I Want Them Arrested!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state? FL

The Board of Directors and/or general contractor changed the lock on my condo. I called the police and wanted them cited for grand theft larceny. The officers talked with the Secretary of BOD and she told them that I have been entering my apt. and slowing down the work/repairs (from Hurricane Wilma) and that Code Enforcement authorized the BOD to change my lock.

The officer told me to go to Code Enforcement. Though I kew the answer, I did as instructed and went to Code Enforcement. Of course they (CE) don't authorize changing anyone's lock. Upon follow-up with the same officer, the Secretary's story changed. She told the officer that my lock was changed because of liability of the general contractor with me entering my apt. and that she called Code Enforcement who said that this was okay.

I have not been entering my apt. and wanted to know when anyone has seen me in there since demolition & mold remediaton began, which I told the officer so I can prove my whereabouts elsewhere - including being out of the state of FL. Well, no one can say when I was in my apt. I have been calling the Fire Inspector because the roof has been leaking into electric wiring since Oct. 24, 2005. I gave the fire inspector permission to enter my apt.

The officer told me to talk to Code Enforcement again and added that because the place is under construction, they BOD and/or general contractor can change my lock. I'm not buying this at all because no one else's lock has been changed (to my knowledge), there is no sign on the door posted that says "authorized personell only" (which was on the door when mold remediation was occurring and has been removed), no injuction was filed, and I received no notification of my lock being changed on my property.

I called Code Enforcement and talked with the "big boss's" assistant. She called the Secretary of the BOD who said that she, the secretary, did not call code enforcement. The Secretary told the officers that she indeed called Code Enforcement. That's another lie the Secretary has been caught in?

My questions are:

1) according to the FL statute below, did the BOD and/or general contractor commit grand theft larceny of my condo?

2) wouldn't the BOD and/or general contractor have to get an injunction against me?

3) wouldn't I have to receive notification?

FL Statute - 812.014 Theft.--

(1) A person commits theft if he or she knowingly obtains or uses, or endeavors to obtain or to use, the property of another with intent to, either temporarily or permanently:

(a) Deprive the other person of a right to the property or a benefit from the property.

(b) Appropriate the property to his or her own use or to the use of any person not entitled to the use of the property.

(2)(a)1. If the property stolen is valued at $100,000 or more or is a semitrailer that was deployed by a law enforcement officer; or

2. If the property stolen is cargo valued at $50,000 or more that has entered the stream of interstate or intrastate commerce from the shipper's loading platform to the consignee's receiving dock; or

3. If the offender commits any grand theft and:

a. In the course of committing the offense the offender uses a motor vehicle as an instrumentality, other than merely as a getaway vehicle, to assist in committing the offense and thereby damages the real property of another; or

b. In the course of committing the offense the offender causes damage to the real or personal property of another in excess of $1,000,

the offender commits grand theft in the first degree, punishable as a felony of the first degree, as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

You Are Guilty

A crime is only a crime if someone is willing to prosecute it. As it seems that your local law enforcement isn't being all that helpful, it sounds like it's time for a stern lawyer letter, followed shortly thereafter by an even sterner lawsuit. I know it's easier said than done, but they're really walking all over you and I doubt they'll respond to your repeated pleas to "play nice".

Or, barring that, you can do as I suggested in another recent post - poop on the BOD's doorstep. Might not get you back into your condo, but spiritually (and gastrointestinally), you'll feel a lot better. :D

BlondiePB

Thanks YAG and BB. Criminal conversion will be added to my list of other complaints. I did go to the police dept. to talk with the Officer's supervisor regarding changing this from civil assist to criminal, but he was in court. However, I did type a letter to the supervisor with the events of this crap, requested this be criminal, and asked for him to call me. He'll be back on duty Thursday.

A stern and viscious lawyer is what I'll be looking to hire. The attorneys I've talked with have said my documentation of this fiasco from the beginning is excellent, find one that will take this on contingency, and that there's punitive damages too.

Today, I found out more info about the roof from the fire inspector who will be out for another inspection when we get a good rain. There was not any insulation put down by the roofers, so now the newly installed sheetrock has to come out. Until that is done, no more repairs can be made.

The BOD needs a dump truck of poop on their doorsteps. One poop is just not enough. Thanks for the idea and as always your humor, YAG. :D

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Oh man. I am so sorry you are STILL going through this BS. Definitely listen to what has already been stated by BB and YAG. (But careful with the poop as that would be a health hazard and might get you in deep).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">