• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beneficiary and expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lanna51

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca.

I am the beneficiary for my dear friend who recently passed away. She has no family remaining and lived in Kentucky. I drove out to Ky to get her ashes and bring them out to Ca. The woman who I had been in contact regarding this did not mention a funeral or a viewing, if she had I would have told her that it was not what my friend wanted. So I found out when I arrived that she had planned a funeral for my friend and had bought a very expensive urn for her ashes (she kept it) and had the funeral home for several hours. I was not involved or asked for my input. After I found out I was the beneficiary I called the funeral home and told them. I also told them that I needed a certified death certificate for legal purposes. i was told that they would send me a form to fill out and after I would get the certificate. They in turn called the woman who had arranged the funeral and told her of our conversation. She called and texted me re: funeral expenses and lawyer fees. My question is am I bound by law to pay this?

OHRoadwarrior

No. However the estate could be liable. What payment arrangements were made with funeral home? They always make sure someone is going to be on the hook beforehand, in my experience.

Lanna51

I did call funeral home again and yes I am going to pay for funeral services, minus the urn. Well that is what the funeral director said anyway.

Lanna51

No. However the estate could be liable. What payment arrangements were made with funeral home? They always make sure someone is going to be on the hook beforehand, in my experience.
The original person who had made arrangements with funeral home told them that she was waiting to hear from insurance. From what the insurance company told me there had been several attempts tried by supposedly beneficiaries but that I was the only one they had found.

justalayman

if you were the beneficiary of an insurance policy, unless there was some stipulation as to how it is spent, that money is yours to do with as you please. You have no obligation to pay estate expenses (funeral costs included) with that money.

The person that contracted the funeral home is liable for the costs of the funeral.

Of course, if you feel compelled to pay for anything, you are surely welcome to pay whatever you believe you should pay. Just stating that you are not legally liable for any expense you did not contract for.

Betty

Don't let the funeral home talk you into paying anything toward the funeral. The money is yours to do with as you wish unless the policy noted
that a portion was to go for funeral expenses or to the funeral home. If
that's true, the ins. co. usually deducts that from your payment before giving you your share. The bene info should be in the policy.

You can, of course, pay something toward the funeral if you wish.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">