• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Big company renegs on contest award

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JustAPal00

Seems perfectly fair for the company to require that the winner be employed AT THE TIME OF THE DISTRIBUTION, not just at the end of the contest.
This I agree with. In my earlier post the contests I was refering were sales contests. I have worked several corperate sales jobs where if you hit a certain level of sales or sold the most you would get some sort of cash reward. Yes you usually had to be employed when the distribution was made, which I thought the OP had said he was. Not paying you because you had submitted your resignation, should not be legal!

las365

Cisco ran a "Best Home Network" contest to try to identify the best home network as way to then show customers how its own employees did home networking. As a byproduct the winner gets the honorable position of having the best home network and winning the $1000 prize... So they decided to go ahead with it all and had scheduled interviews and the award ceremony.
This was designed to promote the company, its products and employees, right? To make the company look good to its customers. Don't you think it would cause significant embarrassment to the company in the interviews and at the awards ceremony to have the winner be someone who left the company for better things?

What ever happened to stepping aside gracefully? You chose to leave your job with this company for your own betterment, and that's fine and as it should be. You say you left on good terms. What if you want to go back someday? Why jeopardize future goodwill by suing them over this? Man up. Let it go.

awardblvr

BTW. The follow up to all this was that they made some other dude the "co-winner", though his entry really doesn't compare. I had sent an e-mail to the CEO's office and opened a "case" with HR (which, of course, got off-shored and out-sourced to India), but they DID pay the reward and follow through in the award.

http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ciscoitatwork/home_networking/bh_overall_winner.html#aw

Thanks for everyone's input!

-A

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">