• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Born with no birth certificate what should I do??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I am from and currently live in Georgia and I need help obtaining a delayed birth certificate for myself. I was born at home and no birth certificate was obtained at the time of birth for me. I am currently 21 with no birth certificate, but I do have a social security- my mom did manage to get that. I have tried to do it through the administrative process (Vital records), but they have stated I do not have a sufficient amount of evidence to establish a birth certificate so filing a petition with the court and getting an order from the court requiring vital records to issue a birth certificate would be the next step. However, I do not know how to do that, which is where I need legal assistance. I was working with a women from the free legal aid office, but she doesn't know what she's doing and it's been 9 months. Please advise on what I should do.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I am from and currently live in Georgia and I need help obtaining a delayed birth certificate for myself. I was born at home and no birth certificate was obtained at the time of birth for me. I am currently 21 with no birth certificate, but I do have a social security- my mom did manage to get that. I have tried to do it through the administrative process (Vital records), but they have stated I do not have a sufficient amount of evidence to establish a birth certificate so filing a petition with the court and getting an order from the court requiring vital records to issue a birth certificate would be the next step. However, I do not know how to do that, which is where I need legal assistance. I was working with a women from the free legal aid office, but she doesn't know what she's doing and it's been 9 months. Please advise on what I should do.
A person born in the state of Georgia who is not certain that their birth was filed, should request a certified birth certificate either in person or by mail. If the record is on file, we will issue a certified copy. If no record of the birth is on file, the requestor will receive a certified statement of “No Record on File” and further instructions. We cannot look up a record over the phone to determine if it is on file or its content.
https://dph.georgia.gov/birth-records

Dandy Don

Talk to a family law attorney in Georgia. I'm not certain but you may need to get a court order to achieve getting a delayed birth record and you may also be required to get 2 people (relatives or people who are close to your parents) who know the circumstances of your birth to sign an affidavit.

Talk to a family law attorney in Georgia. I'm not certain but you may need to get a court order to achieve getting a delayed birth record and you may also be required to get 2 people (relatives or people who are close to your parents) who know the circumstances of your birth to sign an affidavit.
That's what I'm doing now, but the lawyer seems to have stopped caring about my case. We are so close to actually filing it with the court but now she is taking her time and ignoring my calls and emails. I wanted to do it myself, but I don't know how to make a filing form for a delayed registration of birth. Georgia does not have those forms available, It seems California has the forms. I don't want to make a mistake in filing it because it cost around $200 to file it with the court.

Dandy Don

Your attorney is supposed to be filing all necessary forms for you. I know it's frustrating, but unless you want to fire her and go with a different attorney, please be a little more patient.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">