• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boss receives offensive email about me on company account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Otterchick

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My married boss receives email from her boyfriend on the company email account. They are marked as coming from him, so I know they are meant for her but they are send to the company email address that the entire office shares. At the end of these emails there is usually a short, offensive, vulgar "aside" to me due to the fact that my boss and I are not getting along well at work at this time. Because these could potentially be read by anyone, do I have any rights? Also, now that I've told her that I want to post for a GM position at another location, she has started finding things to write me up for and I am sure she is bad mouthing me to the area director. Is this harassment? Can I do anything?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Beth3

Because these could potentially be read by anyone, do I have any rights? You have the right to look for another job.

If your married boss wants to have an affair, she can. If she's stupid and indiscreet enough to use the company's "public" e-mail system to communicate with him, she can. If her boyfriend wants to share his opinions about you or anyone else in these e-mails, he can too.

You're working for a low-class person who you already don't get along with. I sure wouldn't hang around a day longer than I had to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">