• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Both parents deceased, dads ex girlfriend attempting to claim life insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Elisa76

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

My father passed recently at 53 . I am the only child and his only next of kin. My mother passed when I was 14. I have three children of my own. My father had always told me that the life insurance was in my name and when I received the application packet from FEGLI, the beneficiary listed is an exgirlfriend from 18 years prior. When I spoke to the woman on the phone she assured the right thing would be done because "I was his daughter". I have only an updated beneficiary form filled out by my father listing 90% to myself and 10% to my grandmother, not signed by witnesses.

My father had many girlfriends in between the time he was with this woman and the time he had passed. The fact that the day before she found out she was nice as pie and since the date early October she will not answer calls, texts or emails. There is no will that I know of. Do I have any options?

Also what do I need to do in order to handle his affairs? Ie: the car I'd like to sign over to my grandmother for ownership. How would I go about changing a title or becoming the estate planner if there is no will?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

My father passed recently at 53 . I am the only child and his only next of kin. My mother passed when I was 14. I have three children of my own. My father had always told me that the life insurance was in my name and when I received the application packet from FEGLI, the beneficiary listed is an exgirlfriend from 18 years prior. When I spoke to the woman on the phone she assured the right thing would be done because "I was his daughter". I have only an updated beneficiary form filled out by my father listing 90% to myself and 10% to my grandmother, not signed by witnesses.

My father had many girlfriends in between the time he was with this woman and the time he had passed. The fact that the day before she found out she was nice as pie and since the date early October she will not answer calls, texts or emails. There is no will that I know of. Do I have any options?

Also what do I need to do in order to handle his affairs? Ie: the car I'd like to sign over to my grandmother for ownership. How would I go about changing a title or becoming the estate planner if there is no will?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I'm sorry about your father's passing.

Have you been able to contact the life insurance company and verify that she in fact is the beneficiary of the policy? If she is the beneficiary, she has no duty to give you any of the funds. Those funds legally belong to her.

Elisa76

Thank you for the condolences

I've actually been told that a few times. I wonder how some people live with themselves. She didn't even come to the funeral. I incurred all funeral expenses and burial costs. Any idea if I can ask that those be covered?

Do you have any idea about the latter question?

Thanks

Antigone*

I've actually been told that a few times. I wonder how some people live with themselves. She didn't even come to the funeral. I incurred all funeral expenses and burial costs. Any idea if I can ask that those be covered?

Do you have any idea about the latter question?

Thanks
Again, I'm really sorry, but either your father didn't take care of business or he wanted her to have this money. In either case this woman has done nothing wrong. You do not have the legal right to sue her for anything.

I will have to defer to another member with regards to your other questions.

Elisa76

All $ aside morally if she can live with herself that's enough for me

What do I need to do in order to handle his affairs? Ie: the car I'd like to sign over to my grandmother for ownership. How would I go about changing a title or becoming the estate planner if there is no will?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

>Charlotte<

Lurker
You will need to file a petition with the probate court in his county of residence in order to be declared the estate administrator. Once that has been established, you will have the power to handle his property.

anteater

Disregarding the life insurance, are there any assets other than the car? Any debts?

Take a look at Section 16 at:

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartII/TitleII/Chapter195

Betty

If your Dad was planning on changing the beneficiary but didn't submit the necessary paper work to the ins. co., the proceeds go to the bene named in the policy - the girl friend.

If there is an estate, you will need to open probate in the court in the county where your Dad lived. You might want to read anteater's link.

You have my sympathy on the death of your Father.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">