• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boundary Survey- Markers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TomD

What is the name of your state? NJ

I just inherited my Dad's house which was built in the 50's, and as far as I know, no survey was ever done. So for various reasons (such as I'd like to put up a fence, my neighbor just sold his house, etc), I'm going to have one done. The surveyor I call wants $600 for the boundary survey (150 x 80 lot) and $85.00 per corner to place markers. The markers are 18 inch rebar with a cap that contains his identifying information... I assume if I don't purchase these markers, I'll just receive wooden stakes...

My questions are...

Do I need the markers?

What is their purpose?

Thanks

TomWhat is the name of your state?

woodyga

corner markers

Why cant install your own rebar at the corners after the survey is done. I never have had my own property surveyed, but my neighbors have. When the corners were marked I encased the rebar with a concrete cap so that they are very easy to locate.
Just A thought. Have you called other surveyors? $600 plus $85 a corner to put in a piece of rebar sounds high. You would think the rebar would be included in the $600.

Woody,

1christian

The price really depends on things like how far the property is from town, more driving time=more $, how much time will be required for researching things such as deeds, plats, easements, and of course locating and marking or calculating and re-establishing property corners. If all you have is a 100 x 85 lot, in town, I would have thought 600 was a little high, thats with corners included. Now, if this is a tract of land outside of town and the tract is part of a bigger tract, that would require the surveyor to actually survey the entire parent tract first so that they can locate and establish the corners for your tract. That would indeed cost more. The whole $85 per corner is interesting. I've never heard of that, but I'm in Texas. Maybe surveying is different there in NJ. I assume you are getting a drawing out of this too, right? Otherwise it would seem you aren't getting much for $600.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">