• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boyfriend and I bought home together. Now splitting. Need advice.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adjusterjack

He adamantly refuses to consider selling it.
Unless he gets $10,000, right?

Google partition action. You might have to go to court and force the sale of the property. Talk to a lawyer and once you realize what that will cost, $10,000 might be a much cheaper solution.

justalayman

First, I suggest if this cannot be resolved relatively quickly, you take steps to convert the joint tenancy to a tenants in common style holding.

You also need to understand that as long as there is a cotenancy, each of you have an equal right of use of the property. You cannot exclude him without incurring a liability for half the rental value of the home owed to him.

If the payment of $10k to him would result in him relinquishing his ownership interest, I would surely start crunching the numbers. If this ended up in court (a partition action), it’s likely he would recover his down payment money given it is sourced from leveraging his car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">