• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brand Name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zddoodah

Could we get problems with the online course platform eDx? The two names sound very similar.
In the abstract, it's possible. However, similarity of names is only one of several factors that federal courts use in evaluating trademark infringement cases. Proceeding without advice from legal counsel would be extremely foolish.

FlyingRon

"Disney" is a famous mark, so even if you stray outside what Disney does (which is pretty broad to begin with), you're going to be in trouble.
My trademark of RemoteView is not famous and the fact that there are other RemoveView trademarks that exist in other market spaces.

quincy

"Disney" is a famous mark, so even if you stray outside what Disney does (which is pretty broad to begin with), you're going to be in trouble.
My trademark of RemoteView is not famous and the fact that there are other RemoveView trademarks that exist in other market spaces.
True. Most trademarks are not as famous as Disney. But it is not true that “as long as your product/service isn’t similar to theirs” that your trademark is okay.

Your trademark is an example of one where companies with the same name can peacefully coexist (nice plug, by the way :)). Dove soap and Dove ice cream is another example, and both of the Dove’s are famous marks. So even famous marks might not be competing marks.

Bottom line is that there is more to consider than just using the same or similar name.

My earlier response, by the way, was to the statement made by adjusterjack and that is where Disney entered the thread. ;)

jany78

I am searching for a new brand name and in the recent past I have been use the tentacion store name for my brand name but I am not satisfy with that.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am searching for a new brand name and in the recent past I have been use the tentacion store name for my brand name but I am not satisfy with that.
Please start your own thread - don't hijack another member's thread. Please make sure to tell us your US state when you start your thread.

quincy

As a note: We cannot help you choose a trademark to identify your goods or services.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">