• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of Lease, abandonment during Covid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Torx2

What is the name of your state? NY

Ive been trying to find a NYS law regarding abandonment and non-payment during Covid. In my Lease Agreement it states :
“If Tenant leaves said premises unoccupied for 15 days while rent is due and unpaid, Landlord is granted the right hereunder to take immediate possession thereof and to exclude Tenant therefrom; removing all Tenant's property contained therein and placing it into storage at Tenant's expense.”

CDC moratorium makes no mention of it. Reaching out here for some help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Ive been trying to find a NYS law regarding abandonment and non-payment during Covid. In my Lease Agreement it states :
“If Tenant leaves said premises unoccupied for 15 days while rent is due and unpaid, Landlord is granted the right hereunder to take immediate possession thereof and to exclude Tenant therefrom; removing all Tenant's property contained therein and placing it into storage at Tenant's expense.”

Are you sure that clause is valid in the first place?

Torx2

NY has been very vague about abandonment even before Covid. Now Covid made the governor here go crazy with his executive order and now we have CDC at the fed level with their guidelines.

Thats why Im here asking this question.

quincy

NY has been very vague about abandonment even before Covid. Now Covid made the governor here go crazy with his executive order and now we have CDC at the fed level with their guidelines.

Thats why Im here asking this question.
I don’t believe the clause in your lease is legal.

You should have the lease personally reviewed by an attorney in your area.

adjusterjack

The action that your lease proposes is illegal in itself per NY statute RPA Section 768 - Unlawful Eviction:

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-york/2019/rpa/article-7/768/

The provision of the lease is therefore not enforceable and would be voided by the court under RPP Section 235-C - Unconscionable Lease or Clause:

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-york/2019/rpp/article-7/235-c/

You would have to evict in accordance with the eviction statute:

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-york/2019/rpa/article-7/

And you cannot evict as long as the moratorium is in effect. You're in the same position as any other landlord.

Torx2

Only one attorney I know off does landlord/tenant cases here and she dresses like a bag lady and sucks as a lawyer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Only one attorney I know off does landlord/tenant cases here and she dresses like a bag lady and sucks as a lawyer.
You can't seriously think that the ONE attorney you know of that does landlord/tenant law is the ONLY attorney in your entire state who does landlord/tenant law. :rolleyes:

Torx2

The action that your lease proposes is illegal in itself per NY statute RPA Section 768 - Unlawful Eviction:

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-york/2019/rpa/article-7/768/

The provision of the lease is therefore not enforceable and would be voided by the court under RPP Section 235-C - Unconscionable Lease or Clause:

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-york/2019/rpp/article-7/235-c/

You would have to evict in accordance with the eviction statute:

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-york/2019/rpa/article-7/

And you cannot evict as long as the moratorium is in effect. You're in the same position as any other landlord.
Sadly to say think you are right. Thing is when someone leaves of their free will there should be something you could do to gain possesion. Covid makes things complicated.

adjusterjack

when someone leaves of their free will there should be something you could do to gain possesion.
As a former landlord I certainly agree with you. I wish that NYS would simplify this kind of thing by enacting appropriate statutes. It hasn't. You allude to your tenant having abandoned the rental but you haven't described the circumstances. There are several difficulties.

First is whether or not the tenant has actually abandoned and surrendered the property and not just temporarily gone away. NYS has no statute regarding that issue but does have some common law (appellate case decisions) that shed some light on the subject.

59 Madison Ave. Corp. v. Bauer, 15 Misc. 2d 780 - NY: Municipal Court 1958

The mere abandonment of the premises by tenant, per se, of course does not amount to a surrender and acceptance.
https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=27259766080770415&q=tenant+abandonment&hl=en&as_sdt=4,33

BROCK ENTERPRISES, LTD. v. Dunham's Bay Boat Company, Inc., 292 AD 2d 681 - NY: Appellate Division 2002

This one is important because it comprehensively addresses when a surrender has occurred. Read the entire decision. It's not very long and not difficult to understand. In that decision the court agreed that there was a surrender of the property that allowed the landlord to retake possession.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=12167286626307981880&q=tenant+abandonment&hl=en&as_sdt=4,33

In your case, what has your tenant done that can be construed as surrendering the property as opposed to just going away for a while?

Your explanation can go a long way to determining your ability to retake possession of the property.

Torx2

Thanks Adjuster Jack for the info.

Here is some additional details. My tenant and his wife plus 3 kids disappeared from the apartment at the beginning of the October without paying rent. Called several times and left a letter regarding overdue rent in his mailbox 10/11/20. No response. On 10/15/20 posted a letter Rent Past Due and Belief of Abandonment on apartment door and sent same via Certified Mail. On 10/15/20 did a welfare check on the apartment. Furniture and personal belongings are still there and his work truck is still parked in the driveway as it was at the beginning of October. His personal vehicle is missing as it was from the beginning. Mail has not been picked up for weeks.

Called the police and advised them of the situation. They did their magic and found him in New Hampshire. Tenant told them he was on vacation. Police said he would call me which he didn't. I called his cell phone and the tenant picked up and told me he had a family emergency. When I asked when he was coming back and past due rent he went off on me saying he is not paying rent and hung up.

This guy is a cable linesman, employed and not effected by Covid.

adjusterjack

Furniture and personal belongings are still there and his work truck is still parked in the driveway as it was at the beginning of October.
That's certainly an indication that he has not abandoned the property regardless of where he is or what he's doing.

Are utilities in his name? Are they still on?

This guy is a cable linesman, employed and not effected by Covid.
How do you know he is still employed? How do you know that his income hasn't suffered due to Covid? Sure, he could be a deadbeat taking advantage of the situation. According to what I read below, you can't evict him but you can get a judgment for unpaid rent if you want to sue for that now. Though that's probably not a good idea since you won't be able to sue him again once you get a judgment for any amount. Worse, the law gives him some powerful defenses if you attempt to evict based on an allegation that he's not financially effected by Covid.

I think your situation is untenable, just like millions of landlords all over the US.

You're not going to like this idea but you might want to figure out how much you are going to lose if the moratorium extends past Jan 1 throughout winter and maybe offer him a few thousand dollars to get his stuff out and surrender the property to you. The unpleasant alternative is to wait until the moratorium is lifted, then file for eviction and past due rent, and hope that you might someday collect. Which, in my own experience, is unlikely.

Sorry, but I don't see a "legal" solution for you.

I'm reproducing this here so I have it to refer to.

Tenant Safe Harbor Act

On June 30, 2020, New York State (NYS) enacted the Tenant Safe Harbor Act to prohibit residential tenants from being evicted for unpaid rent that comes due while restrictions on businesses, public accommodations and nonessential gatherings are in place as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. You cannot be evicted for unpaid rent that comes due during the COVID-19 covered period if you have suffered a financial hardship. The COVID-19 covered period is defined as beginning on March 7, 2020 and ending when there are no longer restrictions on businesses, public accommodations and nonessential gatherings put in place by the Governor’s Executive Orders. While you are still responsible for any unpaid rent that comes due during the COVID-19 covered period, only a money judgment can be brought against you, not an eviction.

The Tenant Safe Harbor Act:
  • Prohibits courts from issuing a warrant of eviction or judgment of possession against you – the residential tenant or other lawful occupant – if you have suffered financial hardship during the COVID-19 covered period.
  • Allows you, as a tenant and other lawful occupant, to raise financial hardship during the COVID-19 covered period as a defense in a summary proceeding.
  • Allows courts to award a judgment for the rent due and owed to a landlord in a summary proceeding.
In determining whether you have suffered a financial hardship during the COVID-19 period, the court shall consider:
  • Your income prior to the COVID-19 covered period;
  • Your income during the COVID-19 covered period;
  • Your liquid assets (property that can easily be converted to cash); and
  • Your eligibility for and receipt of cash assistance, supplemental nutrition assistance program, supplemental security income, the NYS disability program, the home energy assistance program, or unemployment insurance or benefits under state or federal law.
https://www.nycbar.org/get-legal-help/article/landlord-tenant/evictions/

Torx2

Yes the utilities are in his name and still on.

Steps I took so far is to collect due rent. Guy is a hothead and got into a shoving match with other tenant in the building a few months ago. I let that go but now this I wont tolerate. Soon NY will be like MA and courts will accept eviction cases...

How do I know he is still employed - company truck is in the rental driveway.

LdiJ

Yes the utilities are in his name and still on.

Steps I took so far is to collect due rent. Guy is a hothead and got into a shoving match with other tenant in the building a few months ago. I let that go but now this I wont tolerate. Soon NY will be like MA and courts will accept eviction cases...

How do I know he is still employed - company truck is in the rental driveway.
If the utilities are still on he clearly has not abandoned the property. Be smart and don't do anything that could end up costing you way more than the rent you might be losing.

And, the company truck in the driveway is no proof that he hasn't been temporarily laid off. It may be that the company doesn't have any place to store the trucks for temporarily laid off employees.

Torx2

Company office is in nearby city with plenty of parking. In a week or two will know for sure what is going on. Been thru this before but not with COVID and Executive Orders from the governor and CDC. Forget about Trump his concern is that he has to flush the toilet 15 times. LOL

This rental property is in a small city so once the courts start taking eviction cases I'll be filing unless the tenant and I come to a settlement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">