• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Break a Lease I signed today...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dee30

What is the name of your state? West Virginia

Today I had signed a 1 year lease...I paid the 1st month's rent and she said I could pay the deposit on Friday...

After I got home, I changed my mind...The lease was a standard agreement where I promised to pay the rent on time, with a $20 late fee if I didn't. It didn't say anything about me having to pay up the full year if I backed out...

I haven't gotten the utilities turned on or have moved any of my things there. Is there a "grace period", in my state, where I can get out of the lease, without penalties? The rent was $350, and I will offer to let her keep all of it for her inconvenience.

HomeGuru

Dee30 said:
What is the name of your state? West Virginia

Today I had signed a 1 year lease...I paid the 1st month's rent and she said I could pay the deposit on Friday...

After I got home, I changed my mind...The lease was a standard agreement where I promised to pay the rent on time, with a $20 late fee if I didn't. It didn't say anything about me having to pay up the full year if I backed out...

I haven't gotten the utilities turned on or have moved any of my things there. Is there a "grace period", in my state, where I can get out of the lease, without penalties? The rent was $350, and I will offer to let her keep all of it for her inconvenience.
**A: there is no grace period, period.

treese

The rent was $350, and I will offer to let her keep all of it for her inconvenience.
How nice of you to offer ;)

Don't be surprised if the LL holds you liable for the rent until the apartment is re-rented and also for the cost to re-advertise the apartment if needed.

HomeGuru

And all other costs and expenses related to re-renting the property pursuant to the terms and conditions in the lease agreement and allowable under the WV L/T law with respect to default by tenant.

Dee30

Well, she didn't have a problem with me breaking the lease...In fact, she understood why I didn't want to live there. She has another rental that she has offered me for $300/month. (which is a great bargain for where it's at). So all has went well...SHE is a wonderful lady.

HomeGuru

Dee30 said:
Well, she didn't have a problem with me breaking the lease...In fact, she understood why I didn't want to live there. She has another rental that she has offered me for $300/month. (which is a great bargain for where it's at). So all has went well...SHE is a wonderful lady.

**A: ok, good. Buy her a box of chocolates and a bunch of flowers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">