• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Break Lease mitigation CA Civil code 1951.2 question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I need to break my lease 3 months early. Normally, as per the law, CA Civil code 1951.2, the landlord would just find a new tennant and we would pay for landlord's losses (advertising, days not rented, etc). I understand the landlord has to try and find a new renter and I can help him do that. But what if the landlord wants to sell his house in 3 months. Not many people will be interested in a 3 month lease. In this case am I responsible for the 3 months of rent because I broke the lease or should the land lord take some responsibility because he's putting conditions on who he will rent to that makes so that no one will rent from him?

Gail in Georgia

Senior Member
" In this case am I responsible for the 3 months of rent because I broke the lease"


You are responsible for the rent until the landlord while the landlord makes a REASONABLE effort to find a replacement tenant or the lease would normally expire.

"Not many people would be interested in a 3 month lease".

You'd be surprised about this. Even if the landlord puts the house up for sale, there is no guarantee it will immediately sell. If it does, any lease would "roll over" to the new owner.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential