• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking Lease? before move-in

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jmilton

Living in L.A., California

My roomate signed lease. I did not since I did not have drivers license with me and landlord wanted to see it before I signed lease. At that time I gave check for first month rent and roomate gave check for security deposit.
It was left that I would sign lease and show drivers license later that week. Tried to contact him during the next week. He did not contact me. We got nervous that the apartment would not be available on the first (As he had tenants the prior month who had not given official notice of leaving premises). Therefor sent certified letter saying we could not take apartment and cancelled checks. Am I responsible for any rent? Is my roomate? The landlord did not call me until the second of the month we were to move-in. He says both my roomate and I are responsible for rent until he re-rents apartment

[Edited by jmilton on 02-16-2001 at 01:11 AM]

L

LL

Your roomate signed the lease.
You gave the landlord a check.

You are probably both responsible for rent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">