• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking the lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alexbarrymore

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

Hi I need an advice - I moved out of my apartment 3 months before the end of the lease - we cleaned the apartment and gave the Keyes back and notified in writing is us leaving the apartment . I continued paying the rent for a month and a half whe the property manager were trying to find a new tenant. I recently received an official letter from the management company telling me they found a new tenant for my apartment and my obligation to pay rent ends in May 15th (3 weeks before the end of my lease).
I then receive a email a couple of days later telling me the new tenants cancel and I will be again responsible for the rent until the end of my lease. What could possibly happen if I just pay them until mid May as indicated in there letter? They also have $200 deposit from me. Thank you for your advice

latigo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

Hi I need an advice - I moved out of my apartment 3 months before the end of the lease - we cleaned the apartment and gave the Keyes back and notified in writing is us leaving the apartment . I continued paying the rent for a month and a half when the property manager were trying to find a new tenant. I recently received an official letter from the management company telling me they found a new tenant for my apartment and my obligation to pay rent ends in May 15th (3 weeks before the end of my lease).
I then receive a email a couple of days later telling me the new tenants cancel and I will be again responsible for the rent until the end of my lease. What could possibly happen if I just pay them until mid May as indicated in there letter? They also have $200 deposit from me. Thank you for your advice
What "happens" is that if you only pay through mid May and meanwhile another tenant is not found and under contract (effective Mid May or prior) to pay no less than the rent required under your lease, you will be obligated for additional rent through the end of term, less any credits due from the security deposit.

The only plausible benefit to you - by virtue of the letter of notification from the management company - is if the mentioned "new tenant" became legally bound to the landlord. But that is a probability probably not worth exploring.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">