• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breathalyzer Violation NC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Drumslegend

Hello, let me start of first by saying I have been sober since August 1st 2019.
I met the requirements at the DMV by getting an ignition interlock device for my car.
I put my car on the road on September 1st 2019.
I have had the device with no problems since then, as I do not drink alcohol.

Last night I got ready for work at around 8 pm. I used the same mouthwash I have been using for the past few months. I got into my car and not giving much thought I sprayed glass cleaner on my windshield and cleaned it because it has been hard to see out of at night.

I got a violation on the device screen when I blew to try and start my car.
5 minutes passed and it told me to take it again.
I swished some water just in the odd chance it could have been my mouthwash. I passed. I dont drink anymore so it was no surprise that I passed.

I called the smart start place and they told me that I would have to get in touch with the DMV and see what action they would take.
I really like having my driving priveledges. Being able to take myself to work and to have a house of my own to upkeep and make it to my family's houses when I need to is very much enjoyable to me.

I was wondering if any of you might have some insight or guidance towards actions I should take or what reprecussions of what has happened could be.

quincy

I met the requirements at the DMV by getting an ignition interlock device for my car.

Last night I got ready for work at around 8 pm. I used the same mouthwash I have been using for the past few months. I got into my car and not giving much thought I sprayed glass cleaner on my windshield and cleaned it because it has been hard to see out of at night.

I swished some water just in the odd chance it could have been my mouthwash. I passed. I dont drink anymore so it was no surprise that I passed.

I called the smart start place and they told me that I would have to get in touch with the DMV and see what action they would take.
I really like having my driving priveledges. Being able to take myself to work and to have a house of my own to upkeep and make it to my family's houses when I need to is very much enjoyable to me.

I was wondering if any of you might have some insight or guidance towards actions I should take or what reprecussions of what has happened could be.
A first violation when you were able to start the car after 5 minutes probably will result in no repercussions for you. False positives are not all that uncommon.

Congratulations on your sobriety since August.

GuyInNC

You can have a note regarding what happened put into your file - or at least you could in 2015. Your Smart Start station folks can help or call the (un) Help Line at Smart Start. Be sure that you have at least 30 minutes (hour to be safe) available while you wait.

When I had a device on my car I ended up buying a standalone test device from Smart Start (it uses the same sensor as does interlock device). There are just enough 'who would have guessed that this would be a problem' things that I found the $125 investment well worth it just for piece of mind. I never started my car without trying the external device first. Stay away from Food Lion diet ginger ale, BTW.

I found a surprising 'gotcha' once where I simply turned the ignition of my car on (just to listen to the radio while the car sat in the garage). I did not try to start it. The interlock handset was in the house. I got a 'tamper alarm' that required a reset intervention by Smart Start. I called the DMV to ask them what would happen and they just said that if it was a problem I would hear from them (I did not hear from them). My guess is that what you encountered is common enough that the DMV is not going to take an action here - but this truly is a guess on my part.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">