• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brother did not pay his phone bill.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

florida_z

What is the name of your state? Florida

I got my brother, who was living with me at the time, a cell phone under my plan with the agreement that he would pay his portion of the bill (he could not get on his own).
To make a long story short, he did not and his bill has accumulated to approx $600.00. I want to take him to small claims court to get him to pay his portion plus my court costs, which would come to approx $900.00.
My question is what mechanisms are in place that would ensure that I would receive payment from him if I win the case? He admits and is aware that he owes me these monies..he just will not pay me. He keeps making excuses. He is working full time and he is no longer living in my house. I have negociated with him many times, and he always agrees to pay...then he does nothing. He has since gone out and paid a deposit and received a new phone in his own name....so he has the money.

JETX

florida_z said:
To make a long story short, he did not and his bill has accumulated to approx $600.00. I want to take him to small claims court to get him to pay his portion plus my court costs, which would come to approx $900.00.
Curious... how did your claim get from the ACTUAL damages of $600 to be $900 now. And don't even TRY to tell us that small claims court costs are $300!!

My question is what mechanisms are in place that would ensure that I would receive payment from him if I win the case?
There are none. The court only gives you a judgment (if you 'win'). It is ENTIRELY up to you to pursue recovery of that judgment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">