• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Building a new home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FBN2007

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

My wife and I are buying a new home. The lot is in a development and the builder is a custom builder who has built 8 other homes in this development. He told us that we will need to get the construction financing to build the house. My initial plan was to pay cash for the house when completed. If I don't get a loan then how can I protect myself in case the builder were to walk off the job or worse, if he were to be die or become ill before the house was finished? How are deals like this structured when using a small builder who doesn't actually get the construction financing himself?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

My wife and I are buying a new home. The lot is in a development and the builder is a custom builder who has built 8 other homes in this development. He told us that we will need to get the construction financing to build the house. My initial plan was to pay cash for the house when completed. If I don't get a loan then how can I protect myself in case the builder were to walk off the job or worse, if he were to be die or become ill before the house was finished? How are deals like this structured when using a small builder who doesn't actually get the construction financing himself?
Banks release the money to the builder in stages. The release a certain amount once the foundation is done, another amount once the framing is finished, another amount once the roof goes on, etc...That way both you and the bank are protected if anything goes wrong with the builder.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">