• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bureau Of Collection Recovery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

saygon1

Bureau of Collection Recovery

Just the other day I received another call saying that I owe Verizon, however I cut the lady off and asked for her name and address. I was turning this matter in for investigation to my local Police Department because we do not have Verizon in Alaska, and all my bills are paid up to date. She would not give me any information and said that they made a mistake and I would not be getting any more calls. She said I did not have to turn it in. It was being taken care of at their end. Sounds like I need to turn it in anyway.

grouchozebra

My experience

Lots of calls from an 818 number and an 800 number. They're using a computer dialer. I get a message asking me to press numbers depending on what I want. The other day I got a live person on the line. Asked who I was speaking to. He wanted to know who he was speaking to. I didn't say. I asked him again. He told me it was none of my F'ing business, except he used the word, not an abbreviation.

The next time they called and I called back, I asked the name of the company. They said BCR. I asked what BCR is. They said the company handles business matters. I said anything can be a business matter. If I buy a coke at 7-11, that's a business matter. What KIND of business is it? At this point the female I was speaking to turned the phone over to a male. I then complained about the the previous man who told used the F word and insulted me. He asked the name of the person. I told him the guy didn't tell me.

My cell phone company tells me they have no way to block numbers, which is of course technologically incorrect. It is the policy of the cell companies to not offer that service. They suggested if I don't want the calls I should simply change my number, which isn't my first choice as I've had this cell number for more than a decade now and even took it with me when I switched carriers.

I don't know which bill they are calling about as I have never gotten that far with them in a conversation. I assume if they're calling me they know who they're calling, and it's their job to fully identify themselves first. They should disclose the name of the company, the name of the person they are trying to reach, and that it's a business matter.

I've seen some advice posted on a couple of other websites (http://www.fishingbuddy.com/forums/topic.php?fid=669755&tid=26633&rid=), and may try some of their suggestions.

HamrinHank

The WHOLE POINT

These clowns just started harassing me - without identifying who they are collecting for, how much, or even who they are. I found this column by searching for the phone number. They apparently count on getting in touch with someone who has no idea and wants to protect you from harm - so they'll do anything and pay any price, in your name. (See previous posting about wife paying non-existent bill.) :eek:

Even if racer72 doesn't understand, there really are people out there who will try to take money not owed them - from anybody who will pay. They will gladly extort you by threatening - and executing - calling incessantly. :eek:

I looked up the Texas legal reference (where I am from, thanks Caveman) and it provides excellent advice. 1) Get a mailing address. 2) If you don't owe the bill, send a protest. If you do owe the bill, send a letter asking the to specify EXACTLY who the money is owed, and how to contact the original creditor. 3) In TEXAS, ask to know the ID of their BONDING so you can notify the proper authorities if they do something illegal. 4) CHECK your local statues - OR BETTER, get expert legal advice. :cool:

MY ADVICE - 5) DO NOT SEND CASH OR CHECK OR AUTOMATIC DEBIT/CREDIT information. (THESE people have been known to draw a debtor's TOTAL BALANCE out of their account - regardless of any agreement made between the parties. YES it's illegal, but they don't get paid extra for conducting legal activities.) :eek:

Mostly, GOOD LUCK. I probably won't know why they are calling me or if I really owe anything for several weeks. :confused:

cvdesign

What if it's SOMEONE ELSE'S debt??

If you do not believe you owe the debt or believe that the amount is incorrect than the laws of virtually every (all?) state require that you inform them in writing of your dispute of the amount. The agency then has a certain time period within which they must respond in writing informing you that they are mistaken and will no longer call, or that they have a valid claim and will continue their calls.
I don't mean to hijack this thread (and actually think it might add to it??) ... but what if it's NOT your debt?

I got a new phone number about 4 months ago ... and apparently it belonged to a deadbeat before I "lucked" into it. Since then, I get calls every single day for the same guy (Joe Deadbeat) from several -- and I mean several -- so far, FIFTEEN different CAs have called asking for "Joe."

Each time, I patiently (and politely) advise them of the situation ... and each time they say "Thank you for letting us know! We won't call again!" -- but (and I'm sure you guessed this already) they call AGAIN asking for "Joe."

Sooo ... I guess my question is: is my only recourse to write each and every one of these CAs a letter telling them I had the unfortunate "luck" to get saddled with "Joe's" old phone number? And if so, HOW? I've got no information on the account or the deadbeat (other than his phone number and that he's a deadbeat), so how do I write a letter??

Also, what do I do to get this to stop. Period. I don't want to have to do this every single time "Joe" goes default with a creditor. So far, it's been 4 months of being woken up at 7am on a Sunday.

I know the easiest solution is to change my number, but it's for my home-based business. If I change it, I "lose" all the money I spent in advertising (since the number's in the ad)!!

ARRRGGGHHH!!!

CavemanLawyer

If telling them over the phone to remove you from their list doesn't work, than yes you've got to write them a letter informing them of their mistake. They are required to respond in writing and to quit calling until they confirm that you are in fact the debtor. It sure is a pain to have to do this, that's why the law allows you to recover damages if they don't comply with the statute and cease their calls.

cvdesign

If telling them over the phone to remove you from their list doesn't work, than yes you've got to write them a letter informing them of their mistake. They are required to respond in writing and to quit calling until they confirm that you are in fact the debtor. It sure is a pain to have to do this, that's why the law allows you to recover damages if they don't comply with the statute and cease their calls.
But they won't give me their address -- half the time, they don't even tell me who they are!

The calls usually go like this: I call, they ask for "Joe" and I explain that this is no longer "Joe's" phone number -- that it now belongs to a business. They say something to the effect of "Oh, okay. Thanks for letting me know. We'll notate that and you won't get any more calls from us." *click*

Well, then they call the NEXT day -- sometimes they call durn nigh an hour or two later (personally, I sometimes get the feeling it's one of those "auto-dialers"). We repeat the conversation. They say "we won't call again." If I reply (patiently, too, I might add) that they DO still call, they simply hang up on me before I can get any info from them.

The auto-dialers are even worse ... they immediately say "This is an attempt to collect a debt -- if you're not "Joe Deadbeat" you must hang up now." Since I do my best to be honest and law-abiding (and believe me, Unky Sam scares the &%$@# out of me!!), I hang up.

I'm sorry to vent ... this has just driven us all crazy (since my number is for my home-based business, we hear it every time it rings -- often at ridiculous hours of the morning). :mad:

Thank you so much for your response, Caveman ... I really honestly do appreciate it. :)

CavemanLawyer

All of these debt collection statutes require that they identify themselves to you, if they don't than they are in violation and that's another ground for recovery. If you have caller ID you can try to do a reverse lookup on the internet (just do a google search.) I've also seen a device called the zapper that lets you block individual numbers. You don't have to have caller ID or know the number the called from or anything like that... after they call you just hit the button and they can't call you back again. You can also get creative and have a bit of fun at their expense, (ex: Ok I'll pay right now, let me go get my credit card...then just leave them on hold until they hang up.) Other than that I don't have any other suggestions if they won't play by the rules. Everybody hates these types of companies.

kristina77082

Please file a suit!!!

I am so angry with BCR!!! :mad: I hadthem calling me every 3 hours on my cell phone while i was at work and then when they couldnt get me there they would call me job and even my HOUSE!!! they harassed me 24-7 monday thru sunday!!! I owed quite a bit of amount of money so i tryied to work it out with them so i could pay it off because i do i have other bills to pay and they wouldnt work with me. They told me i had to pay a lump sum to pay it off or nothing at all. So i agreede but i said you need to wait a month!! The ywouldnt do it they gave me 15 days and told me that they were going to put a check thru for it. And if the check bounced they were going to put legal actions against me!!!! i told them no please dont do that because the money wont be there but they refused to listen he laughed in my face and told me that i needed to borrow that money then. Thankfully i was able to come up with the money and pay it off but no more than 2 weeks after it is supposed to be closed they call me!!!!!!! i was so pissed off!!! :mad: i called back and they had no record of calling and that the guy who was suppose to close my account still hadnt!!!! its is so pathetic how horrible they are!!! Someone needs to put legal action against them!!!!!:mad:

wnbama

Found this on the internet.....I know it's old but worth trying to use the emails to contact the "top" people at this company.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2003_Oct_14/ai_108841685

Here's a court case against them in FL:

Cherry v. Bureau of Collection Recovery, Inc.
Plaintiff: Edward Cherry
Defendant: Bureau of Collection Recovery, Inc.

Case Number: 0:2008cv60682
Filed: May 8, 2008

Court: Florida Southern District Court
Office: Fort Lauderdale Office [ Court Info ]
County: Broward
Presiding Judge: Judge James I. Cohn

Nature of Suit: Other Statutes - Consumer Credit
Cause: 15:1681 Fair Credit Reporting Act
Jurisdiction: Federal Question
Jury Demanded By: Plaintiff

Oh and if you want to go work for them...Here's an Ad on Yahoo Jobs:

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/jobseeker/jobsearch/job_detail.html;_ylc=X3oDMTEwa2swNjlzBF9TAzM5NjUxMDMzNQRjYXQDT1RIBHBjb2RlAzUwNTc1?job_id=JPK8O2L6HQG&source=partner&scode=50575

Smyers

Some Helpful Info Regarding BCR

Their address is Bureau Of Collections 7575 Corporate Way Eden Prairie, MN. 55344.
Phone #'s related to them so far are 202-607-2806 | 202-607-2747 | 1-800-831-7311
Mark Neil is the Cheif Operations Officer-
His email is [email protected];-
Ron Roonzani is Vice President of Business Development. -
His email is [email protected]
To file a complaint here are the email addresses - [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected];
This information is available at their website at http://www.bureauofcollection.com/
Just an example at how unprofessional this company is. When you go to their contact page, the page is black. Once you cross your mouse over the contacts the name disappears and fades to black. I hope this helps all of you in the future. Good Luck

What is the name of your state? TX

I would like to find a class action lawyer to go against the BUREAU OF COLLECTION RECOVERY, 7575 Corporate Way, Eden Prairie, Minnesota 55344 for harassment. I have been to other sites and read the complaints and its about the same all the way around some of them owe money and some don't but we all have the same problem Harassment. Phone calls from Sunday to Saturday 2 or more calls a day. I counted as high as 6 or more in one day. You answer the phone and wait till they pick up or they might not pick up at all. I have some of the numbers to list and as more people fill in to this site I'm sure they will have others. I have to go back to my call logs to find more. I counted with and with out the 1 in front of the number list here just from March 8th 2007 to yesterday 175 calls. 202-607-2806 next 202-607-2749. I know they have more and I will edit this post as I find them in the log. If the collection can be removed or the harassment stopped we all can live with it. I would like to see them sued as well for the harassment and time away from other thing we might of been doing.

This is way out of hand and they need to be put to a stop. If any lawyer can help we would deeply appreciate it.

Any legal information as well would help even if it cant get it to a lawsuit.

how much money do you really owe them?

I am so angry with BCR!!! :mad: I hadthem calling me every 3 hours on my cell phone while i was at work and then when they couldnt get me there they would call me job and even my HOUSE!!! they harassed me 24-7 monday thru sunday!!! I owed quite a bit of amount of money so i tryied to work it out with them so i could pay it off because i do i have other bills to pay and they wouldnt work with me. They told me i had to pay a lump sum to pay it off or nothing at all. So i agreede but i said you need to wait a month!! The ywouldnt do it they gave me 15 days and told me that they were going to put a check thru for it. And if the check bounced they were going to put legal actions against me!!!! i told them no please dont do that because the money wont be there but they refused to listen he laughed in my face and told me that i needed to borrow that money then. Thankfully i was able to come up with the money and pay it off but no more than 2 weeks after it is supposed to be closed they call me!!!!!!! i was so pissed off!!! :mad: i called back and they had no record of calling and that the guy who was suppose to close my account still hadnt!!!! its is so pathetic how horrible they are!!! Someone needs to put legal action against them!!!!!:mad:
ok but who is going to re cover the debt?..
In Japan men commit suicide if they cannot repay loans..so think from a world economy point of view..when you loan money some harassment is assumed and should be delt with quietly. Else loan money from the Irish mob :) and then tell us how it feels :).

SWard

BCR- Manipulative and Bullying

I have had an account with BCR for 2 years. This company calls me multiple times per day and it is always the same man calling- John McCoy. Recently, he has started giving me false names. Billy, Bobby, and tonight he stated his name as Ricky ******. I have not paid much toward the account as they have yet to send me anything in writing although I have requested it many times. Tonight I requested to speak to the representatives supervisor and he hung up on me so I called back. I explained what had been going on to the supervisor and he said that they had sent me many things through the mail. I asked for the address of the main branch of the company and he stated it was 7575 Corporate Way Eden Prairie MN, 55344. I asked repeatedly for the land line phone number for the main branch and he just kept giving me the 800 number. So, I typed in the address and asked him if the number stated on the webpage was correct, and he said he didnt know. After telling him I was considering legal action and definitely posting complaints to everyone from the Federal Trade Commission (which I recommend everyone here do) to BBB to Rip-Off Report . com he suddenly had the phone number for me- which was the same one I had asked about 10 minutes prior.

On 8/19/08 John McCoy (AKA Ricky ******) called my home at 8:19PM. I told him I was putting my kids to bed and to please call the next evening before 8PM. He said it would take just a minute and I told him I knew better and nothing was just a minute with him. He continued to try to discuss my account so I hung up. He called again, now at 8:20, then again within the 8:20 minute, then three times within the 8:21 minute.

Also, this company has refused my payment offers. I have offered to pay $100 per month and John McCoy tells me, "That's not enough. WHat about $150?" LIke it's an auction. I tell him, "No, I don't have $150, I have $100." we agree and when it comes to the confirmation part of the phone conversation he says, "Okay, I have accepted your payment of $150" and I say- no, that's not what I said. Cancel that payment, do not debit my account or I will call a lawyer right now.

This company has gone from unprofessional to using illegal bullying tactics to collect a debt that they have yet to provide information on in writing. They have tried to trick me into paying more than I agreed to by slipping the larger amount in quickly at the very end of the conversation, they have harassed my family by calling incessantly all hours of the day, they have refused to state their name, the company name, and refused to give me information on my own account. THey barely speak english yet have names such as John McCoy, Sam Walters, and Henry Smith-- oh, and don't forget Ricky ******.

I will not pay a cent to this company as I now fear for my financial security and the security of my identity information.

If a class action suit comes to be a reality, please include me. I have already started the process of obtaining phone records, I have gotten the physical address of the main branch in MN and the phone number - 1-952-259-1135- I checked, it's real ;) and have filed with the Federal Trade Commission. I will continue to collect evidence to support this case and hope something is done about this company.

Thanks,
Saundra Ward

Antigone*

What The Heck Is This???? Mod Can You Please Put This Baby To Bed???

I have had an account with BCR for 2 years. This company calls me multiple times per day and it is always the same man calling- John McCoy. Recently, he has started giving me false names. Billy, Bobby, and tonight he stated his name as Ricky ******. I have not paid much toward the account as they have yet to send me anything in writing although I have requested it many times. Tonight I requested to speak to the representatives supervisor and he hung up on me so I called back. I explained what had been going on to the supervisor and he said that they had sent me many things through the mail. I asked for the address of the main branch of the company and he stated it was 7575 Corporate Way Eden Prairie MN, 55344. I asked repeatedly for the land line phone number for the main branch and he just kept giving me the 800 number. So, I typed in the address and asked him if the number stated on the webpage was correct, and he said he didnt know. After telling him I was considering legal action and definitely posting complaints to everyone from the Federal Trade Commission (which I recommend everyone here do) to BBB to Rip-Off Report . com he suddenly had the phone number for me- which was the same one I had asked about 10 minutes prior.

On 8/19/08 John McCoy (AKA Ricky ******) called my home at 8:19PM. I told him I was putting my kids to bed and to please call the next evening before 8PM. He said it would take just a minute and I told him I knew better and nothing was just a minute with him. He continued to try to discuss my account so I hung up. He called again, now at 8:20, then again within the 8:20 minute, then three times within the 8:21 minute.

Also, this company has refused my payment offers. I have offered to pay $100 per month and John McCoy tells me, "That's not enough. WHat about $150?" LIke it's an auction. I tell him, "No, I don't have $150, I have $100." we agree and when it comes to the confirmation part of the phone conversation he says, "Okay, I have accepted your payment of $150" and I say- no, that's not what I said. Cancel that payment, do not debit my account or I will call a lawyer right now.

This company has gone from unprofessional to using illegal bullying tactics to collect a debt that they have yet to provide information on in writing. They have tried to trick me into paying more than I agreed to by slipping the larger amount in quickly at the very end of the conversation, they have harassed my family by calling incessantly all hours of the day, they have refused to state their name, the company name, and refused to give me information on my own account. THey barely speak english yet have names such as John McCoy, Sam Walters, and Henry Smith-- oh, and don't forget Ricky ******.

I will not pay a cent to this company as I now fear for my financial security and the security of my identity information.

If a class action suit comes to be a reality, please include me. I have already started the process of obtaining phone records, I have gotten the physical address of the main branch in MN and the phone number - 1-952-259-1135- I checked, it's real ;) and have filed with the Federal Trade Commission. I will continue to collect evidence to support this case and hope something is done about this company.

Thanks,
Saundra Ward
Since when did this forum become an invitation for deadbeat debtors get together and have a let's not pay our bills and sue party?:eek:

Damn people...just pay your bills:mad:

Please mod...keep this sucker from coming back from the dead!!! Could stick it six feet under please?:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">