• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business dispute: client vs commercial printer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

galex3usa

I am a direct mail magazine publisher, using outside printing company. The last order has come about 100 copies short and I need these copies to distribute to advertisers and for promotion. The printer's quotation says that the quantity may come 10% under, unless I order 10% more... which I find unfair- why do I have to pay for unnecessary books?
Now, when I need these missing 100 copies to supply advertisers and to promote the issue, the printer offers me a choice- to print extra 500 copies at outrageous price.
I still owe them 50% balance for the job done, but it is my belief that they didn't supply me the quantity ordered and I think, it's them who should pay to print copies that are missing from my order, if I can not provide advertisers the copies, I cannot get paid either.
My question is: is the printer responsible for supplying the customer the exact number of copies ordered, or they are off the hook by inserting in the contract the text: "Overs and unders are not to exceed 10% under 0% overs of the quantity ordered, and the invoice will reflect the quantity shipped within this tolerance."?
Also, in any case- should I pay them now for the service and THEN claim damages, or I should state now, from the beginning, that I haven't received the product/service I requested and therefore, they should compensate me.. or what? Please advice. Thank you.
What is the name of your state ? -CALIFORNIA

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">