• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business on County property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I appreciate everyone’s input. I’m inclined to think negatively because the local government has a long history of mismanagement and self enrichment. For about 40 years we were the richest county in the state because of taxes on the mining industry. The majority of that went into backroom deals, projects that only benefitted individuals, and a large number of people working low to middle class jobs living in upper class homes.

quincy

I appreciate everyone’s input. I’m inclined to think negatively because the local government has a long history of mismanagement and self enrichment. For about 40 years we were the richest county in the state because of taxes on the mining industry. The majority of that went into backroom deals, projects that only benefitted individuals, and a large number of people working low to middle class jobs living in upper class homes.
A significant percentage of private land in West Virginia is owned by corporations. Most of this land was purchased for its timber, coal and natural gas resources and is not made available for public use. These corporate owners are often based out of state and/or are eligible for tax credits.

What this corporate ownership of private land has meant is an increase in wealth for the corporations, and a higher tax burden for private property homeowners, and a higher percentage of the population of West Virginia living at or below the poverty line.

Expanding public land ownership, opening public land to private businesses, and changing the tax policies to make corporations pay a fairer share have all been proposed.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">