• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

buyers refuse to file deed at courthouse what can I do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GraystoneManor

What is the name of your state? Michigan I sold a commercial building in March 2018 and now the new owner won't register the deed at courthouse what can I do

GraystoneManor

no we did it ourselves they paid off a land contract no title work. I gave them a quit claim deed and they refuse to file it now there 5k in taxes in my name

adjusterjack

Did you not keep a duplicate of what you signed? In other words, made two originals, both with original signature and you each kept one?

Did you even make a photo copy of the deed?

It appears that Michigan quitclaim deeds require only the grantor's signature. All you should have to do is make up a new original, get it notarized, and get it recorded.

justalayman

And the last laugh will be in them as the state will take the property for delinquent taxes and sell it at the annual tax auction.

HRZ

Generally taxes run with land .

And a buyer who fails to record is at risk of problems more so that seller if others who are not on notice record a supposed purchase ahead of this buyer. MI is a race -notice state ....buyer is unwise not to record...you could sell it to some other buyer who beats this one to courthouse ...

Something else is going on for buyer not to record ?

justalayman

Generally taxes run with land .

And a buyer who fails to record is at risk of problems more so that seller if others who are not on notice record a supposed purchase ahead of this buyer. MI is a race -notice state ....buyer is unwise not to record...you could sell it to some other buyer who beats this one to courthouse ...

Something else is going on for buyer not to record ?
he could not legally sell it to another buyer. That would be fraud

Anyway, call your local tax assessor and inform them of the sale. Give the tax office the buyers name and address and ignore the tax notices from that point forward.

HRZ

The second buyer who recorded first would hold superior title ...not smart of first buyer to wait about .

Litigator22

no we did it ourselves they paid off a land contract no title work. I gave them a quit claim deed and they refuse to file it now there 5k in taxes in my name
Anyone that conned some naïve buyer into foolishly paying off the balance on the seller's land contract in exchange for a quitclaim deed for that same property - sans a policy of title insurance insuring marketable title in the buyer (or "title work" as you off-handedly put it) deserves the problem troubling you and more!

GraystoneManor

they didn't want anything I had closing set up at a title company. they refused to sign anything. I sold they a commercial up and running thrift shop on a land contract. They gave me a nice down payment but refused a receipt. I had title work done when I bought it I ordered a new policy but they refused it. so I gave them my policy. but when the first payment was due they wouldn't pay. Also land contract required insurance on building. they also didn't get insurance. so I filed with the court to foreclose. they got a legal aid lawyer he informed them to pay and get insurance or they will lose. judge gave them time. they then paid me off we met at courthouse they brought me a money order for balance and they didnt want deed in there name they brought their daughter. FYI I owned the building free and clear.

justalayman

Back up there.

Did you say you deeded your interestt to their daughter? How old is the daughter? Is the daughter aware of this? Did she agree to this?

Your issue is with the daughter since that is to whom you should have delivered the deed to

HRZ

You posted this convoluted story earlier ....and the buyer may be into " games " of not having assets in his name for reasons that are not before us.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">