• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buying car in New York but live in Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I live in Florida and currently in NY for the summer. I want to buy a car up here and keep it here so I have a car to use when I come up in the summers. I wont be going back to Florida until September. How can I buy the car and drive it until I get back to Florida and send the tags up to my family to put on the car?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I live in Florida and currently in NY for the summer. I want to buy a car up here and keep it here so I have a car to use when I come up in the summers. I wont be going back to Florida until September. How can I buy the car and drive it until I get back to Florida and send the tags up to my family to put on the car?
If you are going to be keeping the car in NY the car really needs to have NY tags. If you have a car in NY with NY tags then your Florida residence for tax purposes could be questioned.

I just talked with my insurance agent and was told I can get a NY policy as well as having my Florida policy. So the 1 car will be registered and insured in NY while my other car will be registered and insured in my home state of Florida.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I just talked with my insurance agent and was told I can get a NY policy as well as having my Florida policy. So the 1 car will be registered and insured in NY while my other car will be registered and insured in my home state of Florida.
Well that solves THAT.

FlyingRon

Yep, it's not uncommon. Due to the fact that the policies need to be customized for each state, they end up being different policy. My national coverage insurer didn't even bat and eye when I told them I needed to do that. They premiums come on the same bill but there was one policy for my NC truck and one for the cars I had up in VA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">