• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA speed trap. what to bring to court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CaliforniaBear

What is the name of your state? California

I want to argue in court that the 22350 VC ticket I got (with laser gun) was a speed trap. I made a copy of the Engineering and Traffic Survey page for the road where the stop occurred. Do I have to certify this copy to bring it to court? If yes, do I have to certify the whole survey or is that page enough?

I checked the survey and the 85th percentile is 40.7 mph. According to the CA traffic manual, the posted speed should be 40 mph, but it's 35 mph. The city is allowed to reduce it to 35 mph if the engineer provides a justification in the Survey, based on factors not readily apparent to the driver.

The CA traffic manual provides 2 examples of such justification. One is a 2 pages long articulate explanation, the other is 1 page long (should I bring these to court?). The survey does not have any articulate explanation, only 4 keywords which I list below followed by my refutal.

A. On street parking. Parked cars are readily apparent to the driver. In fact the nearby road has on-street parking and has a 40 mph posted limit.
B. Bus route. Buses are larger-than-cars vehicles which are readily apparent to the driver. In fact, the nearby road has a bus route and a 40 mph posted limit.
C. Midblock crosswalks. There are no midblock crosswalks (I intend to print google maps if the judge wants to check this).
D. Horizontal curve. The road is straight except the last part after an intersection has a curve, which should really be part of the next speed zone. Regardless, the CA code 22358.5 states that road curvatures are readily apparent to the driver.

[22358.5. It is the intent of the Legislature that physical conditions such as width, curvature, grade and surface conditions, or any other condition readily apparent to a driver, in the absence of other factors, would not require special downward speed zoning, as the basic rule of section 22350 is sufficient regulation as to such conditions.] (should I bring this to court? I imagine the judge knows it.)

The accident rate on the survey is 1.78 (the survey also says the expected accident rate is 3.55). This accident rate does not appear very high and the engineer does not even list it in the "not readily apparent" keywords.

It is my understanding that the prosecution actually has the burden of proof of providing the survey, but I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to ask for a dismissal if the officer does not bring one, instead of simply arguing that the survey is incorrect (even though I believe some very old case law dismissed a ticket as the prosecution did not provide a certified copy of the survey).

I think People vs Goulet is the case that agreed that the court is entitled to disagree with the engineering survey. Should I cite this to the judge, or just state the argument and expect the judge to know the relevant case law? (should I bring a copy of this case to court?)

At the end of my argument, does it make any sense to say "If the court disagrees I ask the court to consider my clear driving record of 16+ years, the clear conditions of the road (should I question the officer about this? as there was no car traffic and no pedestrian traffic) and allow me to take traffic school." Or, am I allowed to talk to the judge again to ask that, if the judge gives a guilty verdict?

I could try trial by written declaration first, but I thought writing the whole list above might put me at a disadvantage if I end up going to court with a trial de novo, as the prosecution might read it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and provide your feedback!

EDIT: I had mistakenly written crossroads instead of crosswalks.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You've done a lot of research on this, but I think your conclusions are faulty. Based on your own research, you've found how they justified a lower speed limit.

CaliforniaBear

You've done a lot of research on this, but I think your conclusions are faulty. Based on your own research, you've found how they justified a lower speed limit.
Could you please briefly explain why you think that? The code states the reduction is justified if the engineer explains the reason (a list of keywords seems lacking) and the reasons are "not readily apparent" to the driver. It seems to me the keywords are readily apparent to the driver. One of them, curvature, is even listed in the code as readily apparent, and another one, midblock xwalks, is not even correct.

I'm not looking for people to just agree with me, but I would appreciate if you explain why you disagree, then I can either just pay the fine instead of going to court, or improve my arguments.

The CA traffic manual states the main reason to reduce the speed is the accident rate, which is not readily apparent to the driver. It does not seem to be a factor here.

Zigner

Again, I believe your conclusion is false. There were factors listed on the report as explanation for the lower speed. Furthermore, even if two of them are mistaken, there is still the other two (bus route and on-street parking) that will hurt you.

Zigner

no it's not a local road, it's a 2-lanes each way road. it intersects with another 2-lanes each way road of similar width, also with on-street parking, that has a posted limit of 40 mph.
Have you checked the national register?

Zigner

A further problem the OP has is that he was cited for a violation of the basic speed law, not a violation of the posted speed limit:

No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property.

CaliforniaBear

How fast were you cited for?
49 mph, though it's a bit weird because the officer had just pulled a different car (the other car was still there), apparently took a new reading for this citation, waited for my car to pass him, then started his motorcycle behind him and asked me to stop. I thought the normal way would be to wave my car to stop as I was approaching. but none of this makes a difference in the end

CaliforniaBear

A further problem the OP has is that he was cited for a violation of the basic speed law, not a violation of the posted speed limit:

No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property.
yes but the speed trap law clearly states that the prosecution, when using a laser gun, has to at least establish a prima facie case of rebuttal of a speed trap, by presenting the traffic survey. if the traffic survey is invalid, the ticket is dismissed because the officer's testimony becomes invalid. this is spelled out in the code.

(a) No evidence as to the speed of a vehicle upon a highway shall be admitted in any court upon the trial of any person in any prosecution under this code upon a charge involving the speed of a vehicle when the evidence is based upon or obtained from or by the maintenance or use of a speedtrap.
(b) In any prosecution under this code of a charge involving the speed of a vehicle, where enforcement involves the use of radar or other electronic devices which measure the speed of moving objects, the prosecution shall establish, as part of its prima facie case, that the evidence or testimony presented is not based upon a speedtrap as defined in paragraph (2) of subdivision (a) of Section 40802.
(c) When a traffic and engineering survey is required pursuant to paragraph (2) of subdivision (a) of Section 40802, evidence that a traffic and engineering survey has been conducted within five years of the date of the alleged violation or evidence that the offense was committed on a local street or road as defined in paragraph (2) of subdivision (a) of Section 40802 shall constitute a prima facie case that the evidence or testimony is not based upon a speedtrap as defined in paragraph (2) of subdivision (a) of Section 40802.

Last edited:

CaliforniaBear

(a) In any prosecution under this code upon a charge involving the speed of a vehicle, an officer or other person shall be incompetent as a witness if the testimony is based upon or obtained from or by the maintenance or use of a speed trap.

Every court shall be without jurisdiction
to render a judgment of conviction against any person for a violation of this code involving the speed of a vehicle if the court admits any evidence or testimony secured in violation of, or which is inadmissible under this article.

FlyingRon

We understand the speed trap law. IT was a waste of our time and bandwidth for you to quote it back to us.
The fact that there are other streets with similar circumstances that have the a higher speed limit is entirely IMMATERIAL.

How about you post the actual address this occurred rather than just ranting random details at us. We certainly can't help since all we have to go on is your already decided upon conclusions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">