• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cable issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Landlords rarely spend money they don't have to spend. Removing and replacing lines is expensive. What does your lease say about the service? What does the cable company say?
I suspect that removing lines is not particularly costly. I do agree that replacing them can be quite costly.

quincy

A phone call to the cable company could be all it takes to learn the reason behind the removal of the lines and if the lines will be replaced (and if they are to be replaced, when).

Right now, however, it appears Will will need to find another way to access the internet. Unless internet service was a promised feature in the lease agreement, there might be little that can be done.

westside

I'd be curious as to when the service is scheduled to be re-established. If next week, it seems to be one of those inconveniences in life that one simply needs to deal with. If significantly longer, it's a whole different ballgame.

Mass_Shyster

Call the cable company and complain that your internet isn't working. Ask them when they're going to fix it. Continue calling until service is restored.

In the meantime, you need to mitigate your losses. You can't sue the landlord for your lost $100,000 income if you just sit back and don't do anything. You can get a cellular hotspot. You could rent an office. You could go to work.

Either way, take a copy of your lease to a tenant's rights attorney and see if you have any recourse, or if cutting your cord is sufficient reason to break your lease and move without being having to pay the balance of the rent for the remainder of the lease.

There's a chance the cable company has an easement for the wires, and the landlord did not have the legal right to remove the wires. That still doesn't relieve you of your duty to mitigate damages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">