• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California, can I still claim partial/full unemployment insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zeldazzz

I was working in a start-up as an exempt(salaried) employee in California. One day, company decides to temporarily convert all the exempt employees to hourly based ($10/hour; 40 hours a week) to save cost for a month. For me, I received 1/4 of my regular wage during that month. My question is if I am still eligible to apply for unemployment insurance for that period? which kind, partial/full? Thank you for your advice.

sandyclaus

I was working in a start-up as an exempt(salaried) employee in California. One day, company decides to temporarily convert all the exempt employees to hourly based ($10/hour; 40 hours a week) to save cost for a month. For me, I received 1/4 of my regular wage during that month. My question is if I am still eligible to apply for unemployment insurance for that period? which kind, partial/full? Thank you for your advice.
Um, NO.

You weren't unemployed during the period in question. You were working, but at a reduced rate of pay, for the full 40 hours each week during that month. Unemployment insurance is for when your hours are cut or you are terminated entirely, neither of which applies to your situation. It's NOT there to replace income when your pay rate is reduced.

If you weren't happy with the temporary salary reduction, no one forced you to remain with the company. You could have moved on and found another job that paid a rate that was more to your liking.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Depending on the amount of the reduction, partial unemployment benefits ARE possible. I received a full 26 weeks of benefits while working at a much reduced rate of pay - and it was the unemployment office themselves who told me to apply.

However, unless this happened to the poster last week, it is probably too late to apply.

commentator

Unless he was making precious little after the pay cut, it's doubtful. Plus, the time that has passed since it happened is a factor, as cbg mentioned. The amount of weekly (Sunday through the next Saturday is a week) gross wages cannot exceed what the person would have received in a weekly benefits.However, NEVER hesitate to file, it's less trouble to file than to come on here and ask about it. It costs nothing, and they'll explain why you would or why you would not qualify.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">