• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cameras as retaliation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nvJob

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hello everyone,

A little back ground first. I have a medical condition requiring at times a place to eat, rest and allow for my symptoms to settle down and a place to address my medical needs. For a long time I was not given the accommodations. But now I have gotten them after requesting accommodations in writing, and returned to work, and within days my boss placed cameras where I will take my breaks, eat and rest. Cameras to and from my facility where I will address my medical needs. I know my boss is trying to intimidate me from taking my breaks and aggravate my condition. He always tried to intimidate me in the past from pursuing my rights to reasonable accommodations telling coworkers I don't want to make an issue of my medical condition or I might not have a job etc., etc.

Recently I asked if I could please be made aware of where all the cameras are, and everywhere I am being recorded and if there are any cameras I am unaware of. He said "you see the cameras, thats where they are." He wouldn't answer me when I asked are there other cameras or areas we are not aware of?

Do I have a right to know where they are? What areas are being recorded? Its a relatively small job site, but has several different areas we traverse, work in etc. I don't want to sound whiney but Im being treated for anxiety also and i have just returned to work under very heavy scrutiny because I filed complaints over our working conditions etc. I know my boss is going to try every way in the world to fire me. And all the cameras really aggravate my condition I can't relax now at all. I'm in a constant state of anxiety now, and it's really affecting my ability to perform the mental tasks of my job. Is there anything I can do? Can I ask to be made aware of where the cameras are etc? They have put up a couple general stickers stating this job site is under surveillance but not around the cameras or areas.

Thanks

justalayman

They have put up a couple general stickers stating this job site is under surveillance but not around the cameras or areas.
that is all they need to tell you. You have been informed you are under surveillance so simply figure that no matter where you are, you are on camera.

Beth3

Agreed. If your boss wants to put cameras in the workplace, he can.

Honestly though, that is a considerable expense. It's really rather difficult to imagine that your employer spent thousands of dollars on a surveillance system just to monitor you.

Hot Topic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hello everyone,

A little back ground first. I have a medical condition requiring at times a place to eat, rest and allow for my symptoms to settle down and a place to address my medical needs. For a long time I was not given the accommodations. But now I have gotten them after requesting accommodations in writing, and returned to work, and within days my boss placed cameras where I will take my breaks, eat and rest. Cameras to and from my facility where I will address my medical needs. I know my boss is trying to intimidate me from taking my breaks and aggravate my condition. He always tried to intimidate me in the past from pursuing my rights to reasonable accommodations telling coworkers I don't want to make an issue of my medical condition or I might not have a job etc., etc.

Recently I asked if I could please be made aware of where all the cameras are, and everywhere I am being recorded and if there are any cameras I am unaware of. He said "you see the cameras, thats where they are." He wouldn't answer me when I asked are there other cameras or areas we are not aware of?

Do I have a right to know where they are? What areas are being recorded? Its a relatively small job site, but has several different areas we traverse, work in etc. I don't want to sound whiney but Im being treated for anxiety also and i have just returned to work under very heavy scrutiny because I filed complaints over our working conditions etc. I know my boss is going to try every way in the world to fire me. And all the cameras really aggravate my condition I can't relax now at all. I'm in a constant state of anxiety now, and it's really affecting my ability to perform the mental tasks of my job. Is there anything I can do? Can I ask to be made aware of where the cameras are etc? They have put up a couple general stickers stating this job site is under surveillance but not around the cameras or areas.

Thanks

You say you filed complaints over "our" working conditions. How many other employees have complained?

I doubt that your boss would pay to install cameras just to catch you in an act of wrongdoing. Perhaps you'd feel better if you concentrate on your work and engaging with your fellow employees instead of your physical condition. Please don't claim that you'd "feel better" if you knew where the cameras were. You'd probably be even more anxious.

cyjeff

I am actually a little amazed.

You are allowed to eat, rest and "take care of medical problems" whenever you want?

Exactly what are these medical procedures for anxiety that you must be allowed to perform whenever you determine the need?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">