• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can a consultant charge you without previously telling you his fees without you agree to hire him

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mulan2018

in MA, I inquired with a land consultant for costs to do some wetland studies on my property for an application with the conservation department of our town for a renovation of our house. Our house is located in a wetland area. The consultant gave me by Email an estimate ranging from $1500-$5000 for the work depending on what the town will require. He also said he would require a deposit before proceeding. I called him to ask more details about the work to try to get a more accurate estimate of the work and he came to my house and called the town to inquire about the work that he would need to do for the application with the town. After getting all his estimates, we decided to not proceed with him because his quote was much higher with another consultant we inquired with. When we told him that we won't hire his services, he wanted to charge us $225 for his work of coming to our house and our phone conversations and calling the town. He told us at that time too that he charges an hourly fee if a job is not awarded. He never told us this earlier nor have we sign a contract with him since we still were not sure if we wanted to hire him, we were just looking for an estimate. He claims that he did a lot of work by talking with me over the phone to explain the work he will be doing, coming to my house to asses the property so he can provide an estimate and for calling the town. We refused to pay since we never had an agreement that he would charge us hourly while we were in contact trying to get an estimate nor signed anything with him. Now he told us that he will call the town to explain what happened and that he won't represent us. We never asked him to represent us with the town and are worried he will say something negative about us to the town that will influence the town decision of our future application for the work we need done. Not sure how to proceed in this case.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Pay in full, negotiate a lower amount, or pay nothing. Those are your choices right now.

LdiJ

in MA, I inquired with a land consultant for costs to do some wetland studies on my property for an application with the conservation department of our town for a renovation of our house. Our house is located in a wetland area. The consultant gave me by Email an estimate ranging from $1500-$5000 for the work depending on what the town will require. He also said he would require a deposit before proceeding. I called him to ask more details about the work to try to get a more accurate estimate of the work and he came to my house and called the town to inquire about the work that he would need to do for the application with the town. After getting all his estimates, we decided to not proceed with him because his quote was much higher with another consultant we inquired with. When we told him that we won't hire his services, he wanted to charge us $225 for his work of coming to our house and our phone conversations and calling the town. He told us at that time too that he charges an hourly fee if a job is not awarded. He never told us this earlier nor have we sign a contract with him since we still were not sure if we wanted to hire him, we were just looking for an estimate. He claims that he did a lot of work by talking with me over the phone to explain the work he will be doing, coming to my house to asses the property so he can provide an estimate and for calling the town. We refused to pay since we never had an agreement that he would charge us hourly while we were in contact trying to get an estimate nor signed anything with him. Now he told us that he will call the town to explain what happened and that he won't represent us. We never asked him to represent us with the town and are worried he will say something negative about us to the town that will influence the town decision of our future application for the work we need done. Not sure how to proceed in this case.
You might let the consultant that you DO hire know what is going on with the other consultant. He might be able to ward off any negativity the first guy tries to do with the town.

xylene

Pay him the 225.

Consider selling your home and buy or build one where thousands of dollars of compliance costs are NOT involved. (Like a less pathetic state)

quincy

in MA ... The consultant gave me by Email an estimate ranging from $1500-$5000 for the work depending on what the town will require. He also said he would require a deposit before proceeding. I called him to ask more details about the work to try to get a more accurate estimate of the work and he came to my house and called the town to inquire about the work that he would need to do for the application with the town. After getting all his estimates, we decided to not proceed with him because his quote was much higher with another consultant we inquired with. When we told him that we won't hire his services, he wanted to charge us $225 for his work of coming to our house and our phone conversations and calling the town. He told us at that time too that he charges an hourly fee if a job is not awarded. He never told us this earlier nor have we sign a contract with him since we still were not sure if we wanted to hire him, we were just looking for an estimate. He claims that he did a lot of work by talking with me over the phone to explain the work he will be doing, coming to my house to asses the property so he can provide an estimate and for calling the town. We refused to pay since we never had an agreement that he would charge us hourly while we were in contact trying to get an estimate nor signed anything with him. Now he told us that he will call the town to explain what happened and that he won't represent us. We never asked him to represent us with the town and are worried he will say something negative about us to the town that will influence the town decision of our future application for the work we need done. Not sure how to proceed in this case.
The problem I see is that the consultant told you up front that he would need a deposit to proceed, indicating that any estimate beyond the $1500-$5000 would not be a free estimate.

That you signed nothing, on the other hand, works in your favor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">