• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a landlord require tenant to get rid of "stuff" in the backyard?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Roxy10Girl

What is the name of your state? Nevada

Sorry to the admin if this is a duplicate.

Hello there everyone,

Our landlord is telling us that we have to remove some stuff from our backyard or else they will hire a company to do so at our expense. They sent a letter saying it is a health and safety hazard and that we are violating some municipal code. I looked and there is no code. Before the pandemic, we started taking some stuff out of the garage to try to clear it out. We planned to donate, throw away stuff, etc. So we did have stuff on the side of the house and when he initially called, he said it needs to move. So my husband put the stuff in the middle of the backyard. We have slowly been getting rid of stuff and now have a couple of mattresses, an old chair, a bbq and a few other items. I also recently had some boxes under the overhang on the patio that I inherited from my Dad when he recently had to go to a care home. They were my mom's old dolls and bears and some pictures. Are we really not allowed to have stuff in the backyard?? I mean we pay to live here and have been for 8 years. I can see if it were out where others could see it (which you see quite a bit around town) or if it posed a fire hazard, but I think this is a bit ridiculous, especially given this pandemic were in and the fact no thrift stores are open. He did not give us very much time either. Any thoughts? Advice?

Thank you in advance.

quincy

Hello there everyone,

Our landlord is telling us that we have to remove some stuff from our backyard or else they will hire a company to do so at our expense. They sent a letter saying it is a health and safety hazard and that we are violating some municipal code. I looked and there is no code. Before the pandemic, we started taking some stuff out of the garage to try to clear it out. We planned to donate, throw away stuff, etc. So we did have stuff on the side of the house and when he initially called, he said it needs to move. So my husband put the stuff in the middle of the backyard. We have slowly been getting rid of stuff and now have a couple of mattresses, an old chair, a bbq and a few other items. I also recently had some boxes under the overhang on the patio that I inherited from my Dad when he recently had to go to a care home. They were my mom's old dolls and bears and some pictures. Are we really not allowed to have stuff in the backyard?? I mean we pay to live here and have been for 8 years. I can see if it were out where others could see it (which you see quite a bit around town) or if it posed a fire hazard, but I think this is a bit ridiculous, especially given this pandemic were in and the fact no thrift stores are open. He did not give us very much time either. Any thoughts? Advice?

Thank you in advance.
Yes. It could be a violation of a city code to have stuff like mattresses and old chairs, etc., in the yard. Especially cushioned items left outside can attract rodents.

You could call the city clerk to verify the violation but I would move everything back into the garage and toss or donate items as you run across them.

Just Blue

Hello there everyone,

Thank you in advance.
I'm in NV and in my city what you have stored in your yard would be a violation of city code. I will post a link as an example:
https://library.municode.com/nv/henderson/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=TIT15BUCO_CH15.12PRMACO&searchText=

Your LL can be cited and fined for the mess you have on his property. Your junk will attract mice/rats/spiders/snakes etc..

adjusterjack

Advice?

Hire a haulaway service to pick up that junk and take it to the dump.

Your LL is not the bad guy here. That you paid rent for 8 years doesn't give you the privilege of piling junk in your back yard.

Roxy10Girl

I'm in NV and in my city what you have stored in your yard would be a violation of city code. I will post a link as an example:
https://library.municode.com/nv/henderson/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=TIT15BUCO_CH15.12PRMACO&searchText=

Your LL can be cited and fined for the mess you have on his property. Your junk will attract mice/rats/spiders/snakes etc..
I didn't know that.... Thanks! We really were making an effort, but we don't own so we don't get the free dump runs that residents do and we didn't have a truck. We do now though. So time to get a move on I suppose.

Just Blue

I didn't know that.... Thanks! We really were making an effort, but we don't own so we don't get the free dump runs that residents do and we didn't have a truck. We do now though. So time to get a move on I suppose.
You're welcome. I moved here from Massachusetts and was very ...concerned ...about the critters here in NV, so I learned what critters were here in town and what to do to avoid having an issue with them. ;)

BTW: The cardboard will attract those BIG A$$ cockroaches...you know...the ones that you can put a saddle on and ride off into the sunset.

FarmerJ

Your city will not give renter residents a voucher to dispose of harder to dispose of things like furniture etc ( once or twice a year ) If it was someone at your city hall then I suggest you go over that persons head to learn WHY rental residents who have proper ID are not offered the same service that ALL property tax paying homes in the city should be able to get as a resident whether they own the home or not.

xylene

You are using your back yard as a landfill.

Stop being a disgusting person, hire a dumpster and/or some workers to get rid of your your filth.

You were NEVER going to donate used mattresses and furniture that had been stored outdoors for any length of time.

No matter how well intended, that is just kidding yourself. Stop being a slob and have some self respect.

xylene

No to mention your filth is clearly going to damage the landscaping and affect the value of the property, any of which OBVIOUSLY is a concern for the landlord and justifies them forcing you to remove it one way or another.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">