• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a single mother draw welfare and foodstamps forever, even when her kid is 16?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
frustrated99 said:
What is the name of your state? AR

Can a single mother legally draw foodstamps, hud and welfare plus draw child support even when the child is 16 1/2?? If the father is required to pay support because he is able bodied to work doesn't the mother have some responsiblilty to work also? Or does she get to live off the government and our taxes? Not to mention she has a man who she is living with who is working......but of course she doesn't report that. She lives in Florida. Anyone familiar with Florida law?
Mother is providing by being on foodstamps. it is legal to get foodstamps and other aid even when the child is 16-1/2. Also if she is not married to the man his income DOES NOT count to hers in many states. There is no legal status there. Therefore you have no claim for welfare fraud or anything else. Mom can be on foodstamps for a very long time.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
frustrated99 said:
I am not talking to an attorney on this sight. Most of the responses have been stupid or didn't even apply to the original question. As an attorney I'd say **************......JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION! it is not a difficult thing to do.

Should a woman sponge off the system because she is to lazy to work, making it hard on her child being poor all the time?? And I never said a kid didn't need to eat at 16. I asked shouldn't a mother work when she can. It is not only the mans responsiblilty. All of you woman who don't like it.....keep your legs together if you can't handle the responsibilty.
Look woman. WHAT THE mother of your husband's child does is NONE of your business. LEGALLY. NONE! She is allowed to collect state benefits provided she fits within the qualifications. How do you know she gets all of those? You are FAR TOO INVOLVED in this situation.

frustrated99 said:
What is the name of your state? AR

Can a single mother legally draw foodstamps, hud and welfare plus draw child support even when the child is 16 1/2??
Yes. At 16 1/2 the child is still considered a minor in Florida.

If the mother is currently in federally funded housing, receiving food stamps, and TANF (if you mean receiving money or assistance with bills by the term welfare), then there will be and open child support case. It is mandatory.

The government has to recoup the money they pay out. They do this by going after the biological parent NOT on assistance.

If the father is required to pay support because he is able bodied to work doesn't the mother have some responsibility to work also? Or does she get to live off the government and our taxes?
In Florida, the parent on support (welfare) is required to participate in the "welfare to work" program. Which requires the participant to actively seek employment or adequate schooling/training (sometimes combined). If they fail to meet requirements then benefits will be suspended/terminated.

However, this does not relieve the debt owed for past support by the government. CSE may suspend collection, but if child support is ever awarded or welfare is continued, the NCP(or biological parent NOT on support) will still be required to pay the debt and collection will become active.

In Florida there are many factors that go into the calculation of the time limit that one can receive benefits. Federally, I believe that is 60 months. But most all states have budgets that can allow extra time (benefits) if certain requirements are met.

EDIT: Just to add...That there is nothing that YOU can do about this. And as far as I can see, there is nothing that your husband/boyfriend (I forget) can do except continue to pay support.

I agree that this is none of your business. However, as my post points out, she has every right to apply and recieve welfare as long as she meets the requirements.

Last edited:

AHA

baystategirl said:
Since you have advised other poster here that our advice is worthless...Why are you posting a question?
Maybe she's suffering from stepmom syndrome of wanting to keep every penny for herself and let hubby's previous kids pay their own bills.

edit:
Meant wicked stepmom syndrome.

Last edited:

AHA

frustrated99 said:
..... and I am a woman who works full time and doesn't need welfare or foodstamps. Thanks
But any brownie points you may have won because of that, you have lost by expecting to not have to support CHILDREN.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
frustrated99 said:
I am not talking to an attorney on this sight.
site. The word is SITE. S.I.T.E. Site. In the middle of a sentence - site. s-i-t-e. Not sight, which has to do with your vision.

AHA

stealth2 said:
site. The word is SITE. S.I.T.E. Site. In the middle of a sentence - site. s-i-t-e. Not sight, which has to do with your vision.
And also, nowhere does this site claim that every poster is an attorney, but some people just make hasty assumptions without thinking first, pretty pathetic :eek:

AHA said:
And also, nowhere does this site claim that every poster is an attorney, but some people just make hasty assumptions without thinking first, pretty pathetic :eek:
Yeah, Ain't is a shame. But then again, this site is the only one to blame. It allows anyone with registration the right to respond to threads. You know, it being a public forum and all.

Maybe it should be restricted to only those with credentials that prove that they can give adequate advice?

But then again maybe not....'cause it would ban at least half the members here from posting.

BOTTOM LINE......The assumptions and relations ( of personal events) are what make this site.

If not informative..it has comedic value.

Just to note....No ofense to any particular 'person'

AHA

StickyFingers said:
Yeah, Ain't is a shame. But then again, this site is the only one to blame. It allows anyone with registration the right to respond to threads. You know, it being a public forum and all.

Maybe it should be restricted to only those with credentials that prove that they can give adequate advice?

But then again maybe not....'cause it would ban at least half the members here from posting.

BOTTOM LINE......The assumptions and relations ( of personal events) are what make this site.

If not informative..it has comedic value.

Just to note....No ofense to any particular 'person'
For someone to b*tch about non-lawyers posting is proof of nothing but lazyness since it's easy to see that anyone can post here, some people are just beyond stupid.

AHA said:
For someone to b*tch about non-lawyers posting is proof of nothing but lazyness since it's easy to see that anyone can post here, some people are just beyond stupid.
I agree...My point was that these types...are not even worth a response...as anyone can post. All they need to do is register.

Maybe I am taking the post wrong.....but I didn't mean to offend. Just basically reinforcing the post I quoted.

AHA

StickyFingers said:
I agree...My point was that these types...are not even worth a response...as anyone can post. All they need to do is register.

Maybe I am taking the post wrong.....but I didn't mean to offend. Just basically reinforcing the post I quoted.
No offense taken or given. :)

BL

In Fla if your an abled bodied man , you work . No if ands or buts . Unless you live off of someone too .

Now , a women with children will get assistance , but only to a certain point .

You say forever ? The answer is NO..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">