• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a spouse stop the sale of a house when the alternative is foreclosure?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xylene

I agree with you wholeheartedly, although we have all seen a lot of spouses do a lot of really bizarre things on these forums.
Financially burning an estragned spouse is not particularly bizarre, though it may be self defeating.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
How odd. I bought the house in 1997, and was specifically told he had to sign something because of his dower rights when I refinanced years later. Misleading info from escrow agent, I guess.
Or an escrow agent that worked for a firm that had been around a long time and those running it remember the dower rights from pre-1977 and either (1) didn't know the law had changed or (2) simply didn't want to risk that someone might have pre-1977 dower rights and didn't want to figure that out with each sale. Either way, the firm may have had a longstanding practice to get that consent over lingering concerns of dower rights even though in most sales today it would not be necessary and indeed could lose sales trying to get consent from an uncooperative spouse that was not truly needed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">